Effetto Mariposa Carogna Tubular Gluing Tape

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAFERACER

by CAFERACER

Anyone have an update on this stuff, good/bad?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Bumparino.

thanasi

by thanasi

I've bought the tape directly from Effetto but haven't used it yet. Still have a few KMs before I have to replace a tire. Bought both normal and wide version and look forward to trying it out...

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

All these posts, and no mention of the weight (what is left on wheel after mounting and drying)? This is WW folks. Incroyable.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Sorry, have been being lax.
Bought 2 rolls of the wider tape to mount first ever set of tubs, so not best placed to review.
Did not weigh directly but by subtraction it adds ~50g per wheel (disappointing).

Very easy to use with the exception of the width - given that I had a rim which is 26mm at it's widest point I thought I would use the full width rather than cutting as per Zinn's video on velonews. This was a mistake - thought the pressure of the tube would draw any excess down in to the rim channel and therefore I should use all the tape for max security.
In the event, I think the opposite happened and the tape was squeezed out a bit. Tidied up with a knife and a black Sharpie to avoid a telltale white glue line.

No concerns about bond strength (26mm Schwalbe Ones on AX Lightness P38T) either with the tyre flat or ridden at 75-100 Psi. Obviously this is somewhat subjective as the only time I expect to really break the bond is when I swap the tyre. Having the glue as a thickish, deformable layer makes a lot of sense from a bond-forming point of view.

The ride quality is not as nice as I had hoped, although I blame this on the tubs, which are butyl tubed and chunky-but-reliable. Nevertheless, I wonder if the thick, deformable glue layer impacts the rolling resistance.

On balance, if the tyres come off the rim cleanly at end of life I would buy again. If you ride tubs a lot I would recommend you try as it seems to be an innovative way of doing things with at least some important advantages.

Pros:

Easy
Feels secure

Cons:

Heavy
Costly
?Rolling resistance

sethjs

by sethjs

I just mounted Veloflex Carbons on the new Bora 35s with the narrower tape. Mounting was super easy. Two wheels done in 10 minutes or so. I tested for adhesion with the tire uninflated and it felt rather solid.

Riding totally fine. Doubt I could tell the difference between glue v tape on the actual ride.

Big test will be when I go to take one of the tires off. So far, all good.

felipedana

by felipedana

the weight is really 50g per wheel? that's a lot

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

The 50g per wheel is for wide tape, cut back, but still on a wide rim with wide tire, so somewhat less for narrow "classic" rims? Also, is the 50g weight difference prior to drying of the glue? Presumably, some weight is lost when drying, as with traditional tubular glue, such as Mastik 1. So perhaps 50g, if undried, compares roughly to 30g of undried Mastik 1, presuming they lose roughly the same amount of weight from drying. And therefore the extra weight from using the tape vs. using Mastik 1 would be about 20g per wheel, or perhaps less if narrower rim, tire use less tape. So if the weight of the glue is about the same between tape and Mastik 1, that would leave 20g or less for the extra weight due to tape having glue + tape, as opposed to Mastik 1 just having glue.

kulcha

by kulcha

would it be as clean and tidy as the Belgium tape when peeling off?

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

I just installed a Conti Competition 25 on a Ventoux rear wheel using the 16.5 mm "S" (narrow) Carogna tape. It fit perfectly edge to edge, with no edge trimming required. Bottom line up front: Approximately a 4 g weight penalty per wheel for using Carogna tape vs. Mastik 1 (see next paragraph for details/caveats)..

The roll weighed 51 g before applying it, and there was 17 g worth of stuff from the roll which didn't stay on the bike (plastic doughnut on which the tape is wrapped, orange peel off strip, and unused tape). So a total of 34 g worth of tape and glue went on the bike. So in undried form, the Carogna tape weighed 4 g more than the weight from using exactly one 30 g tube of Mastik 1 per wheel/tire. Presuming that the same weight will be lost to drying for Carogna tape as for Mastk 1, there was a 4 g weight penalty per wheel for using Carogna tape vs. Mastik 1. It's possible that the weight penalty for Carogna could be a little higher if someone uses less than 30 g per wheel/tire, or less weight is lost from Carogna tape to drying. Conti regular glue comes in 25 g tubes, so if exactly one tube of Conti glue were used per wheel/tire, there would be a 9 g penalty, before drying, for Carogna.tape.

I'm not a hard-enough core Weight Weenie to be bothered by a one hundreth of a kg per bike (2 wheels) weight penalty for using Carogna vs. Mastik 1.

P.S. Actually, the weight penalty for Carogna could be a little higher than I stated, because when I use Mastik 1, some of it ends up on my fingers and tire sidewall, some of which is removed, and therefore does not contribute to the weight of the bike. With Carogna tape, I had no glue to remove from me or the tire sidewall.

I used the Carogna glue remover, and let it sit overnight. Then I pushed glue plus remover off using a plastic tire lever on top of a folded over shop paper towel. Everything came right off effortlessly in a total of about 2 minutes, including "go backs". "Jello" is basically what came off the rim. I then make a swipe of the rim with an alcohol-dabbed shop paper towel for good measure. I waited a few minutes (maybe unnecessary) for full evaporation of any alcohol, then applied the Carogna tape.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Thank you for the information Hammertime. I will try this tape next time as it sounds like it's superior to the Tufo tape I've been using. As for the weight, the two tapes seem to be very close (Tufo, 35.5g per wheel).
ImageImage

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Has anyone used this tape for a long time yet and really put it through the ringer? Long time being relative since it was recently released but maybe for 4-6 months?

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

by 11.4

Check out Velocipedesalon. An active discussion on this tape. Mixed results -- good for some, bad for others.

sethjs

by sethjs

I've been riding it for ~3 months on one of my wheelsets - maybe 800 miles in. Campy 35 Ultras w/Veloflex Carbons.

So far been awesome. Was super easy to put on. Haven't detected any slip / etc at all.

The real test will be when it's time to replace one of the tires...

sethjs

by sethjs

Ok, finally had to replace a tire that was attached via Carogna to a Campy 35 Ultra. Was the Veloflex Carbon I mentioned above.

The tire was tough to get off the rim. About the same as a good glue job w/Mastik.

Once I got the tire coming off, the tape mostly just came with the tire and completely separated from the rim. There were just a couple points where a very thin film of the tape remained. I rolled it on itself and it came off.

Net - was great - just ordered 4 more rolls off Amazon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com