Crank decision - 3D24 vs Force GXP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattjevans

by mattjevans

So having decided to get a P2M power meter, I'm now faced with the choice of which crank for a Trek Boone 9.

I have SRAM Red crank at the moment w CX1 ring, so it is tempting to get a Force CX1 crank and the P2M spider. This is the cheaper option as Force CX cranks are readily available at c£100

The other option is a Rotor 3D24 all from power2max. It's unclear which option is lighter/stiffer. Intuitively I think I should get the carbon Force, but I figure I'll throw it out there for comments.

Thoughts?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I found myself thinking twice: 'get the force.' during reading your thoughts.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I have both the 3D24 and SRAM Force and when I weighed them with the chain rings off I seem to remember there was only 1g difference. Having said that the Rotor crank feels stiffer (I suspect if you look at the numbers it isn't so I don't know why).

For £100 I'd get Force though as it will save you £80+ unless you can get a very cheap set of Rotor.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

So weight is basically even

The price difference between Rotor 3d24 full crank (incl tool) and SRAM spider only is £145. Force CX1 cranks are actually £120 unless I pick up one from eBay. So there's very little in it money wise, though with the Rotor I'd need to change my BB which would be a minor pain (it's BB90).

That said, the rotor crank interface looks slightly better than GXP? Pretty hard to find direct comparisons.

stormur

by stormur

Rotor has 2 advantages : if you switch to Shimano / Campagnolo it still "fits" . Swapping chainrings is waay easier too ( not hidden bolt spider )- and you have "gazzilion" of options.

If you're absolutely 100% sure of using Sram "forever"- I would still choose Rotor ( frankly, I do have CX Sram Force22 equipped bike (exc brakes : TRP Revox here ) and Rotor crank.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

aram

by aram

stormur wrote:Rotor has 2 advantages : if you switch to Shimano / Campagnolo it still "fits" . Swapping chainrings is waay easier too ( not hidden bolt spider )- and you have "gazzilion" of options.

If you're absolutely 100% sure of using Sram "forever"- I would still choose Rotor ( frankly, I do have CX Sram Force22 equipped bike (exc brakes : TRP Revox here ) and Rotor crank.

Will the sram cranks not work with shimano? IS this new with 11 speed?

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I think he means "fits" more as in aesthetic than whether it works. It's a good point

stormur

by stormur

Exactly, that's why it was in "fits" not fits ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

mattjevans

by mattjevans

I guess I should also consider Quarq riken. Same money. Heavier ?

racingcondor

by racingcondor

Guess I should add that I'm on 10 speed.

I'd also say I've always found SRAM bottom brackets less weather resistant than (my only other experience) Shimano so that's a reason to go Rotor. Not a huge issue given the cheapness of BB's though.

I'm in the UK though and don't do as much maintenance as I should so if you're in a dryer country (or don't race through the winter like I have for the last few years), it may not bother you.

jeffy

by jeffy

Just because I happen to have just looked it up

Rotor 3D 24 110mm BCD 170mm arms = 530g (without BB & rings)

Praxis Clover 110mm 50/34 = 124g

Shimano 5800 Compact 50/34 170mm = 734g

mattjevans

by mattjevans

racingcondor wrote:Guess I should add that I'm on 10 speed.

I'm in the UK though and don't do as much maintenance as I should

Same and same

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com