Fizik saddle suggestions, moving from Selle Italia SL road

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roel W

by Roel W

I know saddles are a personal choice and there are already xx topics on this board about it but they didn't answer my question (I used the search function):
I'm now riding a Selle Italia SL (a cheap OEM saddle) and I like it, however it has worn out and I would like to move to Fizik.
Which saddle equals the Selle Italia SL in the Fizik range: Arione or Antares (or Alliante).
Anybody made a similar switch from Selle Italia to Fizik? I need some advice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dvdslw

by dvdslw

I had a Selle Italia SL saddle on my last bike and thought I loved it until I rode my new bike with a Fizik Arione saddle. At first glance I thought it would be a bit uncomfortable but after a year of riding I still like it a lot and actually bought another from Performance to better match my colors. I got the Arione CX on sale for $99.00

headwind816

by headwind816

I have been riding the Arione since 2003 and continue to love it. I have tried many saddles and always switch back to an Arione. My suggestion is to find a LBS that has the Fizik demo program so that you can try each animal (pun intended) out.

simoncx

by simoncx

I tried the Arione vs, Antares vs and gobi xm over the winter, coming from a slr tt and really didn't like any of them. For me there is too much padding they seemed nice at first but after 2 weeks they seemed to get soft. I think the 00 line has less padding and is firmer which might have worked but I went back to the slr, it works for me. The shape didn't bother me it it was the padding that made it uncomfortable.

Roel W

by Roel W

What's the difference between the Arione and Arione R5? Both have Kium rails. Weigt is almost the same (225g vs 205g)
The first one is listed 133€, the second 160€:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-arione-sa ... ium-rails/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-arione-r5 ... ium-rails/

kgt

by kgt

Arione is not a saddle with a shape that many can find comfortable. I had one for a year and although I loved its looks the flat shape was not comfortable at all after a couple of hours.
IME there are two main categories in saddles. a. flat and b. curved profile. If one feels comfortable on a. he cannot feel comfortable on b. and vice versa.
Selle Italia SL looks flat but you have to try.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

If you like the SL, why not just get an SLR TT (tubular Ti... not Time Trial :) )?

Similar shape, but higher quality and lighter.

I would not suggest a Arione if you like the Selle Italia. The Selle Italia is a flat saddle, the Arione is very much not.

An Antares might work for you. They are flat, but a bit wider than the Selle Italia. The higher end models have very firm padding, that works well for me. I have bikes with SLR TT, Antares with carbon rails, and Specialized Toupe Pro/S-works 143mm. I can comfortably go from one to the other with no issues. Those are all fairly flat saddles.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

I love my Arione. I silly ride hard for under two hours. I tried an Anteres and it didn't work, rubbed my thighs, which aren't that big.

teokim

by teokim

I use fizik arione R5.
But I am not comfortable with it.
So I am considering to change saddle with others.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com