Track Disc - fixed/fixed - freewheel help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Layercake

by Layercake

Greetings WW's. I was hoping my first post would be of my first build but I ran into a problem just shy of completion. I recently purchased a carbon track disc and the wonder vendor decided to ship it with the wrong hub. This hub only has 1 side threaded for a fixed gear. Has anyone had success with using a freewheel hub on a set up like this? I'm weighing the shipping time back and forth from China + the hassle of the vendor saying they didnt do anything wrong to just finding a fix myself. I've read people have mounted a freewheel cog on threads intended for a fixed cog and had no safety issues. Some pictures attached and I apologize I did search the forums but didnt see if this issue has already been addressed.

Thanks for your help and I hope to contribute back to this cool community shortly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

safcstuie

by safcstuie

Why run a disc and freewheel?

Just curious

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I am pretty sure the threads for a fixed gear lockring are different than those needed to install a freewheel. I'm not 100% sure. Maybe bring it by a local shop and have them check the thread pitch?

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

A freewheel sprocket such as http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php?p=product&id=725 should solve your woes.
It does limits how small you can go but if using a freewheel that's generally not a major issue.

mattr

by mattr

safcstuie wrote:Why run a disc and freewheel?

Just curious
Single speed time trialling? That's about the only thing I can think of.

by 11.4

Track cog threading is basically the same as traditional British freewheel threading and also threading for virtually all current single-speed freewheels (White, Suntour, Shimano, etc). Is that what you're asking? You can thread any of those on. The lock ring threading for a true fixed cog setup is smaller and reversed, but you can just thread a freewheel onto the primary threading and ignore the lock ring threads. (At World Cup levels basically nobody uses lock rings on the track anyway -- these days they are mostly for road fixie riders and for a few situations like Japanese parimutuel keirin where they are mandated.)

Layercake

by Layercake

11.4 wrote:Track cog threading is basically the same as traditional British freewheel threading and also threading for virtually all current single-speed freewheels (White, Suntour, Shimano, etc). Is that what you're asking? You can thread any of those on. The lock ring threading for a true fixed cog setup is smaller and reversed, but you can just thread a freewheel onto the primary threading and ignore the lock ring threads. (At World Cup levels basically nobody uses lock rings on the track anyway -- these days they are mostly for road fixie riders and for a few situations like Japanese parimutuel keirin where they are mandated.)

Thanks for this and everyone elses input. Shimano freewheel works perfectly on the existing threads. Hopefully have something to share in a week or two.

aram

by aram

What wheel and what ebay vendor? I kind of want a track rear disc (clincher) but there seem to be so few options.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

aram wrote:What wheel and what ebay vendor? I kind of want a track rear disc (clincher) but there seem to be so few options.

I don't think the OP said this was a clincher disc. There are lots of track tubular discs in all price ranges. I'd generally recommend tubular for the track if you're already stepping up to a disc -- lace up some basic alloy clinchers for training with clinchers if you want but when you're spending the money for a disc, I'd go tubular.