FSA Direct mount brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

As a late adopter of chain stay mounted brakes, I've noted that lots of these set ups have pad rub, presumably from bottom bracket deflection when riding out of the saddle. I'm sure nearly everyone saw the prototype FSA brake from the Euro bike shows. Well, it's nearly in production, and someone was kind enough to send me a pic of the brake installed on a Madone fork. I don't know what tire that is, but judging by the tread it has to be at least a 25c, maybe even a 28c.

I'm excited by this brake because I think it could solve the pad rub problem by allowing you to keep the pads well away from the rim, while also allowing reasonable braking power using variable leverage, which is harder to design into a standard caliper brake. I know prior delta brakes have suffered from poor stopping power (Modolo, Campy, weinmann), but I had great success with a Suntour roller cam back in the day. As long as FSA has minimized friction with good bearings, built the caliper arms stiff, and provided good cable geometry, this could work well.

No affiliation with FSA, just excited to get rid of the crapolla Bontragers!
Attachments
FSA DM.png

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

"Late adopter"?? [emoji4]
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

spud wrote:As a late adopter of chain stay mounted brakes, ...

Was riding with chainstay mounted rear brake probably a long time before you were born. Then someone had the idea of moving them to the seatstays.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

old skool GT mtbs anyone?
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I noted the knock against Campy Delta brakes.

There are a lot of generalizations and misinformation around about this. The original Delta designs indeed had poor stopping power - more like a "speed reduction system".

Campy discontinued them and they went through a complete redesign, known as the "5-pivot" Delta. These are extremely powerful. I have used both types.

Although beautiful they were rather heavy and perhaps over-designed.

early versions:

Late 5 pivot version

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I used mine for anchors of a small fishing vessel.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spud

by spud

I raced mtbs back in the late 80s, and went through the chain stay mounted brake/mud clearance issue. Built a custom mtb with seat stay mounted roller cam, and it worked a treat. I just had to stay on top of pad wear (which happened quickly) due to space constraints, but it was no big deal.

Problem with the Campy is that by necessity, the linkages were short, which meant they went through heavy angular displacement during actuation. Which also meant that pad wear could rapidly take you out of the peak leverage zone into the "oh shit I have no brakes" zone when you least needed it.

The wedge activated roller cam set up should be more tolerant of sub optimal set-up, but they will require a little more attention than a standard caliper, likely by adding washers under the brake shoe to tune pad placement. But the pad clearance you can run using a progressive cam should solve the pad rub problem. It would be nice not having to screw with the quick release prior to sprinting.
Last edited by spud on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I think Campagnolo designed the Delta's on the Shimano 600AX, which I rode.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If history is any indication, the Shimano DA and EE Brakes versions will be what you want mounted on your bike for direct mount road calipers.

spud

by spud

here's the latest info on the FSA brake, until there are physical products to inspect - looks promising. Maybe not truly weight weenie, but I'm more interested in braking power and pad clearance on the back. Should be aero also.
Attachments
Direct mount brakeset-4.PNG

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

Got them on my De Rosa king Xs. They don't only look great They brake great aswell, better then the standard Tektro brakes that came with the bike.

spud

by spud

I got a set and mounted them on the bike, and have two solid rides on them. Brake feel is quite good, not quite as smooth as Dura Ace or Campy, but completely fine. This goes too for the rear brake which of course has internal routing. Modulation is good, have not had occasion to do a panic stop on them but no reason to suspect they won't perform as required. And getting back to the original point of the thread, I set the rear brake up so that it has about 4mm pad clearance by using the "open" position as the starting point for braking, and shimming the pads to get the required bite point. Overall, no rubbing that i can tell despite some serious sprinting on them, and I'm very happy. Highly recommended, especially for the rear. Note, they are not weight weenie material, but I don't care.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

cool. I got an email from them a few weeks ago. October is the release date

spud

by spud

Lafolie,

If you are looking for a pair they are now in the USA and available. Have your local shop contact FSA and they should be able to sort it out. I believe part numbers are 40000003001010 for the front, and 40000003002010 for the rear brake.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

spud wrote:Lafolie,

If you are looking for a pair they are now in the USA and available. Have your local shop contact FSA and they should be able to sort it out. I believe part numbers are 40000003001010 for the front, and 40000003002010 for the rear brake.

great...thanks for the info !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com