Swapping cranks (one w/P2M) between 10 and 11 speed bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

Short Reasoning : What i am trying to achieve is to have is a pair (2 cranksets) of both 10 & 11 speed compatible cranks (one with power2max) that i can switch (swap around as neccessary) between my winter/summer spare & main summer bike. Winter is 10 speed Shimano 105 - Summer is Ultegra 6800

From what i can tell, according to manufacturer spec -

SRAM22 shouldn't be mixed with SRAM 10 speed
I understand the same applies to Shimano, both going with the (possibly debatable) 'designed to work as a system'

How about SRAM 22 crank / rings with the rest as 6800?

FSA and Praxis rings are apparently cool for both 10 and 11 speed.

Want the ability to have a 10 & 11 speed compatible crankset (with P2M fitted) that i can swap with a "spare" onto whatever bike I am predominantly riding - whilst main a spare functioning non-power as a placeholder/temp use.

At the moment I am thinking of buying:

Force 22 (new or used) - selling orig 11 speed rings - fitting Praxis 10 / 11 - fitting P2M
Buying old SRAM "whatever but same BB" crankarms - fitting Praxis 10/11

Has anyone used SRAM 22 crank sets with otherwise Shimano 11 speed drivetrains? If this would be fine i could save some cash initially on the
Praxis chainrings.

edit: it seems that the praxis rings dont fit on the sram 22 cranks. this continues to be complicated

Thoughts, suggestions and education appreciated.

alternative: I could just get a Stages, but i have quite a large imbalance between my left and right leg and i dont think my ego could take it! :oops:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

A quick search will reveal it'll work fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

apologies if this was too obvious, but BB standards, frame compatibility and the various options with P2M make for a fairly complex model.

after more googling it seems 11 speed chainsets also work with 10 speed - at least between SRAM and Shimano

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/01/ ... ore_314177

I was wondering if anyone here actually had experience, rather than the (normally fairly reliable) someone said X on internet.

zirxo

by zirxo

I've used a 10-speed crankset with my 11-speed Campagnolo Chorus gears without any problem. It works like a charm.

naylor343

by naylor343

I swap my rotor3d p2m between my shimano 10 speed winter bike and my 6870 11 race bike with zero issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Again

Tinea Pedis wrote:A quick search will reveal it'll work fine.

as in those threads are actual accounts from myself (and others) who have/are presently doing it.