Swapping cranks (one w/P2M) between 10 and 11 speed bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jeffy

by jeffy

Short Reasoning : What i am trying to achieve is to have is a pair (2 cranksets) of both 10 & 11 speed compatible cranks (one with power2max) that i can switch (swap around as neccessary) between my winter/summer spare & main summer bike. Winter is 10 speed Shimano 105 - Summer is Ultegra 6800

From what i can tell, according to manufacturer spec -

SRAM22 shouldn't be mixed with SRAM 10 speed
I understand the same applies to Shimano, both going with the (possibly debatable) 'designed to work as a system'

How about SRAM 22 crank / rings with the rest as 6800?

FSA and Praxis rings are apparently cool for both 10 and 11 speed.

Want the ability to have a 10 & 11 speed compatible crankset (with P2M fitted) that i can swap with a "spare" onto whatever bike I am predominantly riding - whilst main a spare functioning non-power as a placeholder/temp use.

At the moment I am thinking of buying:

Force 22 (new or used) - selling orig 11 speed rings - fitting Praxis 10 / 11 - fitting P2M
Buying old SRAM "whatever but same BB" crankarms - fitting Praxis 10/11

Has anyone used SRAM 22 crank sets with otherwise Shimano 11 speed drivetrains? If this would be fine i could save some cash initially on the
Praxis chainrings.

edit: it seems that the praxis rings dont fit on the sram 22 cranks. this continues to be complicated

Thoughts, suggestions and education appreciated.

alternative: I could just get a Stages, but i have quite a large imbalance between my left and right leg and i dont think my ego could take it! :oops:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

A quick search will reveal it'll work fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

apologies if this was too obvious, but BB standards, frame compatibility and the various options with P2M make for a fairly complex model.

after more googling it seems 11 speed chainsets also work with 10 speed - at least between SRAM and Shimano

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/01/ ... ore_314177

I was wondering if anyone here actually had experience, rather than the (normally fairly reliable) someone said X on internet.

zirxo

by zirxo

I've used a 10-speed crankset with my 11-speed Campagnolo Chorus gears without any problem. It works like a charm.

naylor343

by naylor343

I swap my rotor3d p2m between my shimano 10 speed winter bike and my 6870 11 race bike with zero issues.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Again

Tinea Pedis wrote:A quick search will reveal it'll work fine.

as in those threads are actual accounts from myself (and others) who have/are presently doing it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com