Canyon Aeroad F SLX frameset - quick question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

hi,

I'm about to order the Aeroad, and I was wondering whether someone can aswer the following question:

what is the difference between the ME (mechanical) and EL (electric) version? I want the red one really bad, but it only comes in EL and I've no intention to ride electronic groupsets.. any ideas?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing2

by Racing2

The Katusha edition? i have the Ultimate in that color, in real live it looks even better then on the pictures, I was also not really into EL but now that I have it I love it. (It's also the lighter of the two groups...;-))

kkibbler

by kkibbler

EL frames do not have downtube cable entry points (just behind the headtube), and rear brake cable + Di2 cable enter the top tube at the same location.

EL frames have a sort of clip-in lid (I think) under the BB shell that allows for installing the Di2 battery into the downtube, and threaded inserts in the downtube for the battery. ME frames have a cable guide under the BB shell. The FD cable ports are also in different locations. The RD cable port is wide open to fit Di2 cables and won't work with mechanical cables.

There might be other differences but for all those reasons, don't get the EL frame if you intend to run mechanical.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

so is it impossible in any way to run mechanical on EL...?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I believe so. You can run wireless well enough, though. ;)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

thanks. I guess that's what you can call a forced progress..

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

I remain skeptical of this. Some frames are designed to adopt ME and EL with a few caps / changes. The Canyon approach has been to design two different routings that appear to be independent. I really would do a little more digging before shelling out for the frameset and facing frustration.

No doubt you can cobble something together to make it work, but it might involve zip ties, duct tape and/or drilling the frame at some point. OK, I was kidding about the duct tape, kinda...

Have you considered getting the ME frameset and having it custom painted?

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I have, but then I'd spend countless hours designing my own scheme, and the prospect of choosing only one would kill me :D

i don't want to spend 2.5k on a frame that just won't work properly. I've e-mailed the distributor about it, but it appears he's got no clue about it whatsoever. guess I have to wait till some buddy buys one (and that ain't happening anytime soon to my knowledge) or just buy one with a 10 day return option.. which sucks even more, because if I get one, I sure as hell won't want to give it back... and then again - the full DI2 specd bike with Cosmics is just about twice the price of the frameset... :noidea:

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Does the M frame have the small hole for the electrical wire next to the brake cable entry at the front? enabling the M frame to be equipped with electrical groupos..

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

thanks, looks like it won't work after all

teokim

by teokim

EL frame is only for di2 or eps

mudrii

by mudrii

EL is for both Campy and Shimano

kauphy

by kauphy

Sorry for digging this up but I was wondering if the other way round was possible - running di2 on a mechanical frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com