1x11 for road? Ultimate WW wet dream?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

djconnel wrote:Traditional problem with 1x systems has been chain tossing. It's even discussed in Eddy B's book from the late 1980's. It's the wide-narrow system which supposedly addresses this. But additionally the clutch derailleur is supposed to help. Although at least one guy here posted his hack to a Red derailleur to get it to handle wider range. So maybe the clutch isn't so important. That would be good because it's a brick.

on the road , no clutch derailleur required ...

not a single fall in over 15000 km on the road, 2 times on mtb in 1000km.

i used a 7970 Di2 rd 10s, i used RED wifli 10s, now i have a RED 10s and on my mtb a 9070 Di2 11s .

i did the hack but it's not on the rd but in the hanger
http://eliflap.it/

shlammed

by shlammed

Having not read the thread. no way... no 1x10 for me.

The weight of the long RD, and huge cassette (along with aesthetics of that) wont beat a road double.

did a ride yesterday with my 53/39 and 12-28 and I used every single gear.... but the 39/28 seemed heavy for one of the steeper climbs. Being in Canada, im just starting up my season.... im a fair weather rider. LOL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Sorry -- brain fart. I meant "cage". Not "hanger".

Here's another example, from Di2Stats.com home page, showing a ride where the rider spent the majority of time in the 39/28 climbing, then 53-11 descending (at relatively low cadence -- never even approaching 120 rpm).

I mapped these gears (53-39, 11-28) to a 44 front, 10-12-13-14-15-17-19-22-25-28-32 back. The 44/10 is a bit smaller than the 53/11 the rider used in the data but then with a max cadence of only 111 on the descent he obviously could have done as well with the lower gear. Here's that result:

In this example, average cross-chaining magnitude went from 2.6 to 3.7 cog spaces. I'd argue he should have been on a compact double since he didn't come close to spinning out the 53/11 and spent so much time in his 39/28, grinding only a 60 rpm average even there, but that's an aside.

Grill

by Grill

eliflap-scalpel wrote:
djconnel wrote:Traditional problem with 1x systems has been chain tossing. It's even discussed in Eddy B's book from the late 1980's. It's the wide-narrow system which supposedly addresses this. But additionally the clutch derailleur is supposed to help. Although at least one guy here posted his hack to a Red derailleur to get it to handle wider range. So maybe the clutch isn't so important. That would be good because it's a brick.

on the road , no clutch derailleur required ...

not a single fall in over 15000 km on the road, 2 times on mtb in 1000km.

i used a 7970 Di2 rd 10s, i used RED wifli 10s, now i have a RED 10s and on my mtb a 9070 Di2 11s .

i did the hack but it's not on the rd but in the hanger

Then you're really lucky. The single ring TTers out here drop all the time without a proper chain guide/catcher.

djconnel

by djconnel

But doesn't the narrow-wide rings supposedly reduce dropping the chain? Traditional single-ring-TT'ers used conventional chainrings.

Here's a report of the Race-Face "narrow/wide" on a mountain bike:

To give it a real test, I mounted the single chainring up on a 9 speed drivetrain, with a standard SRAM X7 rear derailluer, on a hardtail mountain bike. This traditional set up is perhaps the most likely to lead to a dropped chain; compared to the recent “clutch mech” derailluers that keep better chain tension, and compared to 10 or 11 speed chains that are narrower so should therefore “grip” the chainring better.

Hitting the rough stuff on the trails I was wincing, waiting for the chain to pop off. Over a table top I was almost certain that when I landed the jolt would kick the chain from its holding. It NEVER did!

With a month of riding, over all kinds of aggressive terrain, I haven’t dropped a single chain.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I've been riding XX1, WT and Absolute Black rings, off-road, for two years, and have dropped a chain once. When a stick got wedged between my chain and the chainring.

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

My chain derails 2 cogs when I'm at the largest cog when I backpedal. I don't know if that's normal for a 1x setup, anyone care to chip in?

RD alignment is good by eye, normal shifting is spot on, B screw is 12mm from smallest cog (this is according to the Force 1 RD manual) and I have 3.5 extra links on the chain when measuring chainring to largest cog. The Force 1 RD manual says to have 4 extra links so 3.5 is fine right?

commendatore

by commendatore

Grill wrote:Then you're really lucky. The single ring TTers out here drop all the time without a proper chain guide/catcher.

There is no comparison between the chain retention of a standard chainring and a narrow-wide chainring.

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

Crossed chains will do that regardless of setup 1x11 -2x10, it's your chains way of saying it's happier when it's running straight.
answer is don't back pedal it gets you nowhere

ihs0yz wrote:My chain derails 2 cogs when I'm at the largest cog when I backpedal. I don't know if that's normal for a 1x setup, anyone care to chip in?

RD alignment is good by eye, normal shifting is spot on, B screw is 12mm from smallest cog (this is according to the Force 1 RD manual) and I have 3.5 extra links on the chain when measuring chainring to largest cog. The Force 1 RD manual says to have 4 extra links so 3.5 is fine right?