Lightweight saddles.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

At the moment, I'm using a Charge/Fabric Scoop Ti on both my bikes. The shape seems to agree pretty well with me, they're pretty durable, and are comfortable for upwards of 300km at a time. However, I wouldn't mind something a bit flatter in shape, and the 250g weight seems a bit excessive. The obvious choice is to go with one of the carbon Fabric offerings, possibly the medium or flat shapes, but they are still a little spendy, being new and all, and the ALM, whilst lovely, is frankly silly money.

To this end, I've been trawling eBay, and there appears to be a few Selle Italia SLR Ti and SLR Teknologika out there for reasonable money. I've been looking at various Prologo models as well. Has anyone been in a similar situation and made such a switch? Anything else out there worth a look?

FWIW, I'm about 75kg, ride in coastal/mountain terrain (Ireland, so not long climbs, just bloody steep) and I'm not hard on components. I do like longer rides, not quite audax distance, but in the 200km range, so bare carbon is probably out. Good bike is a CAAD10. Seatpost is a KCNC Ti Pro, so easily adapted for any rail shape.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I had a Bioflex Carbon on a featherweight xc mtb I had a few years back and found that to be pretty good. It's about 180-190g ish and can be bought for as little as £30 these days I think. That's what I might use on my new build if I don't get on with a raw carbon one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I have a Fabric ALM, and like the shape, but my Specialized Romin Pro is my favourite saddle by far. It's stealthy (doesn't have Specialized branding all over it), light 160g, and is great value at £100. Apparently its a comfort 1 out of 5 according to their own scoring, whereas the Toupe Pro is a 2? but I find it to be flexible and comfortable. I have had Fizik Arione / Aliante's before and they have not agreed with me. Hope that's of some use!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes it is shape that is really important

I have never had the stomach to drop the coin on AX lightweight but would like to try it

Toupe is a good flat saddle at an OK weight for little money
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

i went to a custom made carbon saddle, made in Italy

DB-M saddle
http://eliflap.it/

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Shape is the thing alright. I've never been more comfortable than on an old Ragley Cheeky saddle, allegedly an mtb saddle. The bike I had it on was stolen, and I would replace it but the new model is a different shape and looks bloody awful.

Certainly some food for thought here, lads. Thanks very much.

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

I found a brand new Prologo Evo Tri 40 Nack with carbon rails on eBay for $100. I ride XC, but found the saddle to fit better than anything I've ridden so far. Weight seems respectable at 170g as well.
Prologo website allows you to search their saddles by shape as well as end use...they also have a custom fitting system, I have no idea what that would cost or how it works, but hey :beerchug:
A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

http://youtu.be/9SctEhBljqY

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

ax lightness is the gold standard. stick with it and you'll be happy. ax endurance is my favorite. ax endurance also has a leather version as well.

basilic

by basilic

if you like a big cutout, Selle italia tekno flow is claimed 110g, but one I weighed was 96g

964Cup

by 964Cup

I use Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow across all my bikes. 120g and not completely stupid money. The Tekno Flow with carbon rails is a lot more, but I am tempted for the next build, more for comfort than weight saving.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com