Force vs Force 22 (front mech)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

identiti66

by identiti66

Iirc the Force 22 is 11-sp.. I have an older model which is 10-sp..

Could I fit the Force 22 front mech and run it successfully on my 10-sp setup?

Mine doesn't have 'yaw' or a chain catcher.. I'm not terribly concerned about the latter but think that 'yaw' could be beneficial, I'm rattling the cage on the front mech at one of the extremes of the cartridge.

stormur

by stormur

Works very fine, just "double tap" going to small ring. You can buy 10spd Red FD with Yaw as well.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

identiti66

by identiti66

I already have a Force front mech so the double tap thing is already in play..

The 10sp Red is very nice but at more than £40 dearer than the Force 22 one I'd struggle to justify it.

ozdavo

by ozdavo

I think stormur is referring to the trim on the 10s front shifter where you have a "small" click while in the big ring that moves the FD a little before the full click shifts to the small ring... Yaw is designed not to need trim.
...but to answer your question, yes the F22 FD works fine with SRAM 10s. I am running 2012 Red with F22 FD and from shifting is great. A bit fiddly to set up just right, but works a treat once done.

identiti66

by identiti66

Ta :)
I've not gone into any trim functions, I can manage basic indexing but that's about it..

Might be an LBS job to set it up if I go for it..

identiti66

by identiti66

Hoping to pull the trigger on one of the FD's this week but have just read something that I'd like some comment on if possible..

Please note: Due to the redesigned pivots and change in cable pull, this derailleur is not compatible with previous generation SRAM Force Shifters. Also, the Force 22's profile is slightly narrower than the 10-speed version, meaning that it's optimized for use with SRAM X Glide R Chainrings and the complete Force 22 system.

Regarding the bits I've highlighted..
I know I asked about 10sp compatibility but wanted to double check that the positive responses included the shifters and..
I'm running (again, 10sp) Ultegra cranks and rings, this isn't likely to cause any issues is it?

Sorry for going over stuff that's most likely already been dealt with but I need it clear in my head before I bite the bullet..

stormur

by stormur

Whatever Sram says, you should hear "give us more of your money" :mrgreen:

It works, need more attention to have "real22" in REAL u will get 20 , depends on you how you set up - I did it for 2 bikes, both to have highest possible range from bing ring. No issues. Works like a charm.

Ultegra crankset difference ( if any ) will improve shifting over Sram ;) I run F22 on FSA 10spd, Rotor crank with chainrings : Rotor, TA, Stronglight and Miche. Except TA ( gee, that was experience :( ) I would decribe shifting as "proper" ( no issues but no "wow" as well ) on Rotor & FSA, VeryVery good on Stronglight CT2 and "awesome" on Miche , which is very similar to Shimano if you look at Miche's ramps and pins. However Shimano shifting is waay smoother - Miche ( Super11) is "aggressive" in comparison ( fits me, using it on CX bike ) .

BUT : with Q rings it can be not so funny… depends on frame, and some require FD attachment shims to work properly/ good/ but never flawlessly. I never achieved on Qrings and Yaw FD shifting as good as on Shimnao 105 5700 for example . It can work, but you have to be very carefull shifting and even more adjusting ( border between under and overshift can be less than hair ;) )
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

identiti66

by identiti66

Top man.. thank you.