Bor R688-P2Max or Rotor3d-P2Max for climbing bike ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Krull

by Krull

Hello,
i would be very grateful for your advice:

at the moment, i am using a rotor 3d p2max-24-mm-crankset on my climbing bike (with pf30-frame)
i just got a new bor r688 p2max-crankset with 30 mm-axle.

so, two cranksets are available.
one of the two cranksets is for use with the climbing-bike (which is much more in use), the other for the tt-bike.

which crankset would you combine with the climbing bike? the bor crankset is 33 gr. heavier, but its bb should be ca 60 gr. lighter.

below two links to the corresponding bottom brackets. which bottom-bracket is more reliable/unproblematic, in your opinion?

what would you recommend? thanks a lot, regards

http://r2-bike.com/BOR-Innenlager-PF30- ... pecialized
http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;na ... 03;page=11

rotor 3d p2max.jpg

bor p2max.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

the bor bb is definitely less problematiic. the rotor ones tend to squeak.

Voye

by Voye

Interesting comment: the bor bb is definitely less problematiic. the rotor ones tend to squeak.

I have 3 on different BB's and bikes including PF30 using a Praxis conversation and never heard a sound. Always like random comments like that.

Krull

by Krull

thank you for now,

i am using rotor-bsa-bb for years without any problems.
the rotor 4624 in my pf30-climbing-bike did not sqeak until now as well (ca 1000-1500 km, with a lot of climbing).

what annoys me a little: if i keep the 24mm-rotor-crankset with my pf30-climbing-bike, i run the pf30-frame with a 24mm-crankset, and the bsa-frame (my tt-bike) with a 30mm-crankset (bor). both of course need an adapting bb, which is, in principle, no problem.

in terms of durability/stability the best solution in this case, or would you do it vice-versa? honestly, i expect the heavy, solid-looking rotor 4624-bb being the more-reliable solution than the light bor-bb, but maybe i am wrong.

any experiences with the bor-bottom-bracket would be really interesting.

thank you, regards,

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Bor bbs are quiet. Tune uses same or similar. A guy i ride with has the rotor and it squeaks with every pedal stroke. Never had any problems with the bor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Krull

by Krull

mike, thank you for the info. sounds good. i, meanwhile, heard of different users, that the bor-bb is unproblematique. will ask my dealer for advice and might try it.
regards,