MCFK setback post

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blue151

by blue151

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could provide any insight/real life experience with the mcfk setback post. Particularly interested in the opinions of those who have used this post for some time with respect to its ease of adjustability, any bug bears/design issues etc.

Also has anyone every heard of this post breaking? I had a search but couldn't really find any long term reviews.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Essentially it is a rip off from the AX Lightness Deadalus, I have the AX post so if you don't mind I'll talk about that one.
Initial setup is quite a hassle as you need to find the right part of the thread for the front yoke to sit on. So expect lots of tightening und untightening of the rear bolt before you have the saddle in the right angle for you. Install the seatpost with carbon paste and use a CF friendly seat post clamp. tighten the clamp as per spec or lower as a ham fisted mechanic will surely destroy the post.

Nothing more, nothing less. the AX post is mostly fit and forget.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I've been riding the mcfk setback post for about 2 years now (27.2). I've had zero issues with it. Like Frankie mentioned, setting the front bolt/yolk can be a pain (I didn't have any issues), but after that it's very simple to use. 2 years and zero issues. Only real drawback is the price.
Speedplay is the devil!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

The mcfk setback is a great seatpost, even more so than ax. It is less swooping back and looks visually better. However i did receive a not so optically looking good one in the ud look as there were gaps in the cosmetic layer. Sent it back to fairwheel and sourced another one. That was perfect. fsso

Ax seems better in terms of finish.e

audiojan

by audiojan

My wife has a MCFK set back on her Parlee Z5SLi. I went with the AX lightness on mine, but working on her bike, I would get the MCFK now… just a very nice seat post that works perfectly. Had no problem at all setting it up and it's been flawless since.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

blue151

by blue151

Cool thanks for the the insights.

Out of curiosity, where is the bolt for the front yoke tightened - I havn't been able to find a pic of where it is. Of the pics of the ones I have seen, I can only see a single bolt in the setback bit.

*edit* - also if you don't mind me asking (and you don't mind answering!) but how much do you guys weigh?

nagge

by nagge

There is no bolt head for the front yoke, you turn it by hand and then you tighten the saddle with the rear bolt.
I'm really happy with my seatpost :)
SuperSix EVO III Ultegra 8070

coloclimber

by coloclimber

+ on Frankie - B, mdeth1313, Juanmoretime
set up takes some tweeking but then you forget it and enjoy the sexy, sturdy, reliable lightness.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

Bogan

by Bogan

Just installed an MCFK a month ago. PITA to set up, but once done very solid. I am 95kg. Doesn't seen to worry the post.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blue151

by blue151

That would explain it nagge!

Might be the time to bite the bullet.. I have their padded saddle and its a work of art.

Thanks for everyone's input!