Velocite filament wound rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

Yes it is possible to vary the thickness, and you are right, I indeed cannot say how this is done.

V.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

we have been promised lower prices on carbon wheels for the last 5 years from zipp/enve. they have failed

when will prices for complete wheelsets from velocite be announced.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

vmajor

by vmajor

We have no plans to offer wheels under the Velocite brand, but we will be offering sample quantities of wheels under the Venn brand. Venn is an OEM label, something to anchor the new technology, not actually a "real" brand so the primary goal is to sell rims, and of course complete wheels (under any label, not necessarily under the Venn brand) since we have by now done most of the wheel development and testing work. The final tests for wheels that we need is the ultimate failure temperature for the rim brake versions, and final machine controlled durability testing for one of the other wheel variants. The wheels are hand made in Taiwan with a 100% QC.

We have not yet decided on how to set the pricing and how many sets to offer for this sampling program. The primary goal for selling complete Venn branded wheels is to raise awareness, not go consumer direct. Speaking of which, bikerumor.com picked up a set of Venn Rev 35 TCD wheels for review, so over the coming months you will see how the wheels performed.

Ideally, Enve and SRAM/Zipp (and others) would choose us to make their rims so you would get their aerodynamics r&d, while we would deliver the manufacturing technology and lower costs.

V.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

as anyone tried this rims???

topwheels are selling them:

http://topwheels.fr/

see facebook page.

F45

by F45

So you have a 44mmx26mm rim with brake track that weighs 435g claimed. That is not better than the competition.

You claim an improvement on stiffness variability. Variability of 5-9% on rims that have a surplus of stiffness (which cc do) is not a problem.

If you cannot get these to market with a cost advantage over the competition I just don't see why I should be interested. :noidea:

What is the target to-customer price of the Venn Alter 44 TCC rim?

elfuinha

by elfuinha

F45 wrote:So you have a 44mmx26mm rim with brake track that weighs 435g claimed. That is not better than the competition.

You claim an improvement on stiffness variability. Variability of 5-9% on rims that have a surplus of stiffness (which cc do) is not a problem.

If you cannot get these to market with a cost advantage over the competition I just don't see why I should be interested. :noidea:

What is the target to-customer price of the Venn Alter 44 TCC rim?

the rim you are mensioning doesn't use that tecnology (FTW):

only the REV 35mm/27mm

see here: http://www.venn-cycling.com/?_ptc=1

my only interest is 35mm tubular

for exemple: topwheels are selling them from 1030€ with hope hubs to 1470€ with Chris king hubs - 1250g give or take...

F45

by F45

Ok, Rev 35 TCC, 430g. No change needed to what I said above.

vmajor

by vmajor

The performance target for the rims is existing rims. In the future as the process matures we can of course work towards making higher performance rims compared to what is available in the market.

The main benefits of what we are doing may not be evident to the end user (there are some, but we are still collecting data), but to the OEM customer. The stability of the manufacturing process means less (or no) batch failures, less variability in performance between batches, and all that at a significantly lower cost per rim. The price advantage is not necessarily apparent at sample quantities, but if you are a shop, wheel builder or a wheel brand we can offer prices that you will find very interesting.

The idea behind automated production of bicycle parts is to bring their quality as measured by standard deviation from the mean values that are set as the performance targets to the level that is expected from automotive or aerospace parts.

V.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Hello Valor

Are the tubular version available with internal nipples.??

Also are holes molded or perforated.???

Thanks

vmajor

by vmajor

It's "Victor" but "Valor" is pretty neat :)

We can drill holes for internal nipples.

...and the holes are drilled. This allows us to drill the exact spoke exit angles and pattenrs to suit different hubs.

Cheers,

Victor

elfuinha

by elfuinha

Sorry Vmajor

my Phone corrected what i wrote.

is it possible 24 Front and 28 Rear.

Best regards
Nuno

romalor

by romalor

I do not sell this wheels but they may interest you @elfuinha ...
http://www.troc-velo.com/roue-roue-boyau-artisanales-35-mm-1-1-1440572.htm

With the Venn35 rim , flat spokes dt and industry nine
It's quite cheap
Ask him for paypal payement ..

vmajor

by vmajor

elfuinha wrote:Sorry Vmajor

my Phone corrected what i wrote.

is it possible 24 Front and 28 Rear.

Best regards
Nuno

Yes.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Has anyone ttied these rims in clincher version. Hows the braking?
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vmajor

by vmajor

Just to add some information. We recently changed the rim brake track finish so the new rims will have a little different braking performance compared to the original. We now use bare 3k carbon brake track (no coating of any kind) as in longer term testing we found that this type of (non)finish offers the most consistent braking performance in all conditions.

V.