695 aerolight geo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

the jackel

by the jackel

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm interested in the 2014 695 aerolight as my next frame but am unclear on the geometry. My current set up is a 58cm 2007 cervelo r3. Stack and reach is 580/403. I have a headset cap that adds 12mm onto the 180 head tube.

Looking at the geometry for the 695 an XL is 588/400 which seems like a pretty good fit. My confusion starts due to the c stem and headfit 3 headset. The pictures sees to show one, maybe two, parts that seem to add a decent amount of height to the head tube.

Can anyone confirm how much extra this might be or is it included in the geometry figures?

Anyone get any real world experience of the aerolight, would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I had a few rides on a 695 Aerolight and really liked it. Very smooth, stiff, and the integrated brakes are very powerful (though a bit grabby I thought). I don't think the Look numbers include the headset. I think what you're seeing with the Look headset is two things: 1) a rubber gasket like thing that prevents a gap around the stem when you adjust it's angle, but which adds essentially no stack; 2) a big spacer that comes under the stem (don't recall if it's 16mm or 20mm... but it's tall). The spacer can be removed, but you have to cut the fork steerer down because the stem is solid on top and can't be lowered without cutting the steerer shorter. There isn't really an equivalent to a normal headset's top cover with the Look.

The look stem provides a lot of angle adjustment with good looks. If you get the aerolight then the stem I think goes down to -13 degrees. That might be enough to get you to your existing position even with the spacer in there (depending on your existing stem angle), but I think there's no doubt you could easily get there if you cut the steerer down and remove that spacer. You'd be starting out about 4mm lower than you are now, so you could have the stem slightly more angled up and you'd be in good shape.

spookyload

by spookyload

The spacer that is there is simply that. A spacer. The frame will come with a cutting guide to cut that distance out if you don't want it or like it. The c-stem is a very functional piece of kit. As mentioned, it does a good job of angle adjustment to get the fit you want. The rubber gasket piece will stay on, but it doesn't add any height. It is just a rubber fairing so the stem doesn't look awkward. The important part is getting the frame with the stem length you need. They run for about $300 if you have to buy one after for fit. Most shops will include the length stem you ask for when you purchase it though.

the jackel

by the jackel

That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks