Ultegra 6800 drop problem on front.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

identiti66

by identiti66

I'm hoping this is just me missing something obvious.

I have a pair of standard drop (49mm iirc) Ultegra 6800 calipers for my '13 Cannondale Synapse (alloy).
Just getting to fitting and cabling it all up and the front pads are too high, a mm or 3 off the rim. Rear is perfect.

Wheels are Campag Zonda.

Is there something I'm missing? Surely if the rear is fine, the front should be too?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

It's possible that as it's considered a relatively low tier bike, and designed for mudguards etc, that a deep drop brake might be required to get the clearance.

Not all brakes are created equal either.
A different brand may get you enough adjustment to get the brakes in the right place
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

identiti66

by identiti66

I was just thinking a narrower pad might give me what I need.

Beginning to despise this bike and I've not ridden it more than 20 miles thus far.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

'13 Synapse takes deep drop brakes, the fork crown is quite high for mudguard/bigger tyre clearance.

Stock brakes are garbage, right enough. Shimano deep drops aren't exactly light but are a very worthwhile upgrade. R650 the current top of the tree, I think. Been in the range for ages, really needs a refresh, but unlikely to get one as the all-weather bike market is sliding toward discs in a big way.

identiti66

by identiti66

Cheers..
I'm looking at replacing the pad holders with offset ones. AICAN make some as does BDop.. it'll give me the room to use the 6800's which will be nice.
At the moment I'm erring towards AICAN since I can get them in red or titanium (colour) which would suit the bike better imo. Will make a firm decision tomorrow

In the interim I've shaved off the upper edge of the pads so I can use the bike a little (I am restricted by chilly weather) while I wait.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

I have some and can confirm that BDop ones are well made and do the job perfectly. :D