Middleburn RO2 - Brief crank review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I thought I’d write a brief review on a set of Middleburn RO2 cranks I picked up recently to put on my commuter, I’ve not seen anyone mention them on WW before, and to be honest I didn’t realise Middleburn made road cranks until very recently. Whilst I’m using them on a belt drive set up they are designed for road use so might be an interesting option for people looking at alternative cranks.

These are the latest version (I think) that Middleburn offer and are designed to fit the Shimano 24mm axle BB standard.

First impressions: You can kind of tell these are made by a small volume producer, they are really well made, fit and finish is excellent. No marks, blemishes on the finishes and the machining looks first class.

Installation: Super simple. Attach spider to the arm (uses the 8 pin Shimano BB tool), insert axle into BB making sure you have the correct washer combo in place, attach other arm and torque up. No fuss, everything fits well and is easy to install.

Ride: These are installed on my single speed commuter with a big 60T ring and feel as stiff as stiff can be, I don’t detect any flex from the system when pedaling. That said I don’t think I’ve ever noticed a crank deflecting, as long as the chain-ring isn’t moving visibly when I pedal then the system is flex free in my mind.

Now for the all-important scale shots. Just the arms and spindle 513grams:
ImageMiddleburn RO2 by bikewithnoname, on Flickr

Complete with 130BCD spider 574grams:

You can mix and match your own BB, rings and bolts. I went with a Dura Ace BB, Middleburn’s single ring bolts and my existing Gates CDX 60Tooth ring for a total package weight of: 769grams (which was a 276gram saving on my existing SRAM S100 set up).

Given that the crank and spider will cost about £230 these aren’t the cheapest cranks in the world, nor are they the lightest, but I really like the way they look on this bike and for my usage I’m very happy with them.

Hope this helps others with their crank decisions.

Oh and they are designed and made in the UK if that sort of thing is of interest to you.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Beautiful cranks. I've always run Middleburns on my mountain bikes and have found them to be flawless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kim

by kim

good!