Climbing setup that works on flat roads too

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

identiti66

by identiti66

I'm running a 50/34 front and got a 12-32T cassette so that I could climb like a metaphorical mountain goat too.

Is that large a rear cassette really necessary though?

I live in possibly the flattest part of the country so would also like to have an equally usable flatland bike.

How much difference (to flats or climbs, pros and cons) would an 11-28T cassette make?

Marin

by Marin

You can try this by not shifting to the 32, the second cog is probably a 28.

On the fast end, going from 12 to 11 is also one extra gear, but one you'll only need in sprints or downhill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Depends. I have a 50/34 and use an 11-23 for everything, including some routes with 12-15% bumps. BUt we don't have long hills here. Longest is 1.5-2 km's long. I'd use an 11-25 for longer hills.
I personnally don't feel I would need a 28T cog, besides for special purposes, like Mt Washington climb, or the Alps, etc...
NOte: I'm 170-175 lbs, my bike is about 16 lbs. I don't carry luggage either, so no need for a 32T here.
If you use the 28T with the big chainring often, then you would be better with a larger small ring, and a smaller cassette IMO.

Louis :)

identiti66

by identiti66

I should add that I haven't ridden it yet, I'm just getting to cabling. But the thinking about stuff as I learn (this is my first road bike in 35 years) raises questions that need to be asked..

I am 175lb right now, hoping to get down to more like 170 soon.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Probably the highest bump you can climb over there is a horse dump on the road ;)
I think even 28t is overkill, but of course that's only my personal view.

identiti66

by identiti66

Suffolk??
That's about right man.. it's flat as flip. But I'm intending to go hill hunting - my brother lives in N.Wales.

I'm not terribly fit at the mo.. this will be my first proper season cycling for about 20 years and I have high hopes.

1415chris

by 1415chris

If thi is the only one cassette, go for 28. It's bretter to have one gear in spare than one missing and struggling on the climb.

identiti66

by identiti66

I'll get myself an 11-28 (or would 12-28 be better?).. the other thing about the 12-32 is it's REALLY close to the rear mech on the 32T

kgt

by kgt

With some basic training a 34-50 / 11-25 combo is more than enough IMHO. If you have zero fitness of course a bigger cassette would help. But then a triple cransket might be an even better solution.

OTOH in order to climb like a mountain goat you need a lot of training. 28 or 32 tooth cassette will make you climb in a high cadence but with at slow speed. That will hardly make you stronger or faster. In any case if your fitness level is not that good do not push yourself in climbing mountains. Better start with smaller hills and intervals. Using 34-50 on the flats you will sooner or later need the 11 tooth cog.

mattr

by mattr

I have a similar set up, (50/36 compact) but use two cassettes.
A 25 for near home (not that flat, but hardly alpine, or even peak district!).
And I pop a 28 on for Majorca training camps.

Crashing into the lowest ratio you have 5 minutes into a 40 minute climb is pretty demoralizing, at least with the 28, it takes more like 15 minutes........

At the other end, the 50x11 ratio is used infrequently, and TBH I couldn't actually tell you without looking which of the two cassettes has the 11 on it. If I was racing, I might care. But for group riding and descending, 50x12 or a decent tuck is good enough.

And getting a second cassette is hardly going to break the bank.

Svetty

by Svetty

Sounds as if you are not in the first flush of youth - like me ☺. Climbing ability is more about being fit and skinny than about gearing IMO.
I agree with those posting that an 11:25 will be fine for Suffolk along with having a wide ratio cassette eg 11:28 for use when you are travelling to hilly regions - Wales, Yorkshire etc
A 32 is overkill in my opinion unless you are unfit and/or female.

identiti66

by identiti66

I'm 50 next year my good man..I've made some grounds on the skinny thing, was 231lb a couple of years ago but am a much more respectable 175lb now. Probably a bit below average fitness but I'm doing me best (got some old accident injuries that make things interesting - also meaning I have 1 weak arm which is a couple of inches shorter than the other). Sufferfest has been fun

I just pulled the trigger on an 11-28 cassette.

Adjusted the living s**t out of the mech and it was pretty noisy on the 32 and near silent on the 28 so decided to go there.

eric

by eric

If it's flat where you live but you plan on traveling somewhere else and riding mountains, you'll want two cassettes. At least.

For flat riding it won't matter, but because you're coming back to cycling and lacking fitness, when you go to the mountains you will want all the gearing you can get. If that 32t works on your derailleur, keep it. Having low gearing in the mountains doesn't hurt- you don't need to use the lowest gear if you don't need it. But if you need it, it will be there. If you find it difficult to stand on climbs due to your injuries you will want lower gearing than other people who are riding your speed but standing up.

I agree about the 11t, 50x11 is not that useful unless you're racing. Even then I don't use it in all races. But it seems that most cassettes come with the 11t now.

superdx

by superdx

11-28 is great for climbs that last more than 20-30 minutes. There's a mountain that took me about 50-60 mins of constant climbing to reach the middle. Average gradient 11%. The first time I did it, I was on a 53/36 + 11/25 crank/cassette setup and man I almost died reaching the top. Immediately that week I bought a compact + 11/28 setup and it's much more manageable. If the point is to train, then getting totally wiped out at the end of those climbs (though super exhilarating AT THE END) isn't great. The point is being able to repeatedly do it and improve. Only after you've improved you can go back to a smaller gearing like 11-25 or even a mid-crank like 52/36.

mattr

by mattr

Svetty wrote:A 32 is overkill in my opinion unless you are unfit and/or female.
Really?
I'm guessing you don't ride with many/any women?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com