Ax lightness Vial Evo Ultra - 589g!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

newforker

by newforker

:shock: CHARLIE!?!!? :shock:
dereksmalls wrote:
Krull wrote:nevertheless under no circumstances i would buy one of those frames.

If money was no object I'd be on that like an addict on a freshly chopped line of charlie

russianbear

by russianbear

Sure is light!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

newforker wrote::shock: CHARLIE!?!!? :shock:
dereksmalls wrote:
Krull wrote:nevertheless under no circumstances i would buy one of those frames.

If money was no object I'd be on that like an addict on a freshly chopped line of charlie

donald

by donald

My 54 cm. Ruegamer is now almost 8 years old. 600 grams with front and rear derailleur hangers, 610 grams with the down tube bosses. Complete bike is 3,420 grams with my lightest wheels, but I usually ride it at around 3,750 grams with a little heavier wheels and tires. At the NAHBS in San Jose 8 years ago Rue was demonstrating the strength of the same tubing as my frame by banging the tubes on hard objects without any damage to the tubes. I have never had any problem riding on the very bad roads of the San Francisco Bay area in over 7 1/2 years on this frame, only broken spokes from time to time. I think it is possible for AX to make a very strong, light and reliable frame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Wow Donald, that sounds amazing! I would honestly worry for impacts of all kinds, i would even worry frame would crack due to stress.
Some people claim it's easier to make a frames ride feel better with a more heavy frame (damp/ void/ null vibrations, i wouldn't know.
My most comfortable ride is on Vial EVO D, more so than my previous, more heavy frames.

For Ultra, i would like to know what areas and where they have saved weight.
As i now recently learned that broken frames should be repaired both on inside and outside, not just pre-preg patches as some companies do.
So, if a frame happens to damage when warranty is due, i guess it can be a trouble.
I still very much believe some frames are made thicker just to save companies from (more) warranty issues.

Well, it will surely cost more than a Vial EVO D as it takes longer to make one. Vial EVO frame was about 28 hours for one frame. It has another sort of carbon fibre and probably resin, it is more labour intense and supposedly, it it rides more like a mix of Vial EVO D and Cervelo RCA.
I wonder in 5 years where we are talking frame developments? Any ideas people?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Donald's bike truely is the holy grail of WW bikes on the forum. If only rue's were still available and she passed her knowledge onto other companies to get out to the wider public. Bummer I missed the boat on these amazing frames. it amazes me she was able to do this stuff long before others were getting this crazy light inthe last 2-3 years

xena
Banned

by xena

donald wrote:My 54 cm. Ruegamer is now almost 8 years old. 600 grams with front and rear derailleur hangers, 610 grams with the down tube bosses. Complete bike is 3,420 grams with my lightest wheels, but I usually ride it at around 3,750 grams with a little heavier wheels and tires. At the NAHBS in San Jose 8 years ago Rue was demonstrating the strength of the same tubing as my frame by banging the tubes on hard objects without any damage to the tubes. I have never had any problem riding on the very bad roads of the San Francisco Bay area in over 7 1/2 years on this frame, only broken spokes from time to time. I think it is possible for AX to make a very strong, light and reliable frame.

Hi Donald. It would be great to see some real close up shots of your bike. Its the king of WW bikes.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

spartan

by spartan

i don't understand everyone conern about the weight. when the first 900gm scott addict was introduced everyone thought it would not last 3 months on the protour :)
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

xena wrote:Hi Donald. It would be great to see some real close up shots of your bike. Its the king of WW bikes.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=96441

Could do with an update though please Donald, especially with your wheel builds!

donald

by donald

No update on my wheels, but i have an update on some other components which i will try to post soon.

xena
Banned

by xena

donald wrote:No update on my wheels, but i have an update on some other components which i will try to post soon.

Be nice to see some recent close up shots of your bike Donald.

I see a few nice light frames all built up with the most expensive parts, I don't see much originality happening.
Its easy to go buy some exotic/expensive parts if you can afford them but I much prefer Fuch's or Donalds bikes.
It would be nice to see some custom touches. That for me makes a great WW bike.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

tharmor

by tharmor

Peloton Magazine just posted some shots of the rig on Twitter ::

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I just contacted Ax-Lightness regarding an order. Hope to,get one ASAP. Do you guys think they could design this frame to ride as good as the Evo Vial?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

direct mount brake option would be nice
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It will be same geometry as Vial EVO. I don't think it will be any different in looks, except for accent colour and perhaps the visual aspects of the new fibre (layup).
Price will be quite a bit steeper (close to double) so it's not like you either buy Vial EVO D or Ultra.
Ride feel is a good question, but why make two frames looking identical and have same ride feel?
Ax deemed the Ultra as being like a mix of Vial EVO and RCA, so does that translate into a bit stiffer ride!?
Even the Scapula fork will be a customized version to match the frame, so again, we may conclude that this frameset might be stiffer.
I think once released, many will see this frameset is made to be a direct contender to RCA.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com