BB of a Colnago CX Zero?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eigner

by eigner

Hi guys.

I need some help determining the bottom bracket type and compatible crankbased powermeter for my Colnago CX Zero disc (http://colnago.com/cx-zero-evo-2-2/?lang=am).

The photos and details description I've seen of similar bikes have either ultegra or dura ace cranksets equipped. However my bike came with a FSA Team Issue BB386EVO crankset.
Does this mean I got a BB386 bottom bracket? Or could it be BB30 anyhow?
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

It means your frame currently has BB386 bottom bracket cups pressed into the bottom bracket shell which I think is also compatible with Rotor 3D+ cranks , or you can replace them with 386EVO Adapters allowing you to run Shimano or SRAMs cranks as well.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

eigner

by eigner

Do you know if I can use a quarq power meter?
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

It is BB86 press fit. The Quarq you need is the GXP.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I don't believe you could possibly have a BB386EVO in there.

BB386EVO uses a 30mm spindle, but the overall length is that of a BB86 crankset. In other words it's a "long" version of BB30.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

However, the Colnago link has this when you click on the "BB" image. It's a modified Shimano type BB setup.

Through this part of the frame pass the large part of the forces generated by the cyclist pedaling. Therefore, it should be very durable. Cx Zero was made with one of the most popular standards on the market, Press Fit 86.5. Piece monocoque , inside the box is placed a compass aluminum which are grafted directly bearings. Maximum rigidity, and then, thanks to the tube so that it can wrap the entire part, and maximum reliability because the bearings are not working on carbon but on the part of light alloy. Historical Note: Cx Zero was the first Colnago frame to use this type of bottom bracket.

If I understand this right, instead of pressing in bearings in cups, the bearings are pressed directly into the frame.

Here's an image for BB86. I don't believe it's possible to fit a BB386EVO crank since the shell ID is only 41mm, less even than the 42mm a direct fit BB30 bearing would need. Furthermore the Colnago solution is more similar to Trek's "BB90" dimensionally it would seem, making the shell only 37mm ID - totally impossible to fit a 30mm spindle.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lightningbikes.com%2Fcranks%2Fbottom-bracket-shells.html&ei=ypgDVYunEdLZoASjzIC4Cw&bvm=bv.88198703,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNHycEppj1S64ryg5ajesYKKf8H3lg&ust=1426385467302941
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

eigner

by eigner

I just took a few photos of the crankset. A BB86? and the GXP quarq will fit?
Attachments
krank 1.JPG
krank2.jpg
CxZero1.JPG

ms6073

by ms6073

eigner wrote:I just took a few photos of the crankset. A BB86? and the GXP quarq will fit?

Going to have to contradict previous posts as that first image clearly shows an FSA BB386EVO crankset installed on the frame!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

I just realized that you have the disc version, and I have the rim brake version so maybe they are different.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

If you can fit a rotor 3d+, why not just go with that and P2max?

eigner

by eigner

I am so confused. The images on colnago.com of the disc equipped bike shows a shimano crankset.

Well. can I fit a rotor 3d? I don't care if its P2M or Quarq. Both are nice PM's. I had Quarq on a couple bikes before - but i'm open to trying out the P2M.

ms6073

by ms6073

eigner wrote:I am so confused. The images on colnago.com of the disc equipped bike shows a shimano crankset.

Sounds like the bike in the images on the Colnago site had an adapter like the Rotor PRESS FIT 46-24MM BB386EVO to convert BB386 to BB24 because the images you posted of your bike show an FSA BB386 crankset. As for the Rotor question- the 3D uses a 24 mm diameter spindle like Shimano DA/Ultegra so you could also use the Rotor PF 46-24 BB386EVO converter where as the Rotor 3D+ is 30 mm diameter with 86.5mm length spindle and should be a direct exchange with your current crank.
- Michael

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com