Sensor attachment to fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jonloh

by jonloh

Is there a reason for the bike computer sensor to be placed at the "leading-edge" of the fork (see the attached photo - Contador's bike) rather than the "trailing-edge" of the fork? Looks like quite a common practice among the pro-mechanics based on what I've seen so far

I thought fixing the sensor at the leading-edge was more dangerous as objects could hit the sensor towards the spokes; whereas if it was placed at the trailing-edge ("behind the fork", so to speak) the fork could "protect" the sensor from any objects. Hey, placing it at the trailing-edge could even be more aero! :lol:
Attachments
20150312_brakethrough_media_a22y7304_670.jpg

Richt1978

by Richt1978

Simply so it gets pushed out the way by the spokes if it gets knocked inboard - fitted behind and the same thing happens bye bye spokes as it gets trapped behind the forks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Sensors mounted to the trailing edge could get knocked into the path of the spokes, potentially locking up the wheel. The same could happen to a sensor mounted on the front, but it would just get pushed back out by the spokes.

EDIT: Too late

Marin

by Marin

Speaking of sensors, I recently mounted my computer again, and got away with mounting the sensor right below the brake, and taping a tiny rare earth magnet to the rim - no more spoke magnet!

ms6073

by ms6073

Richt1978 wrote:fitted behind and the same thing happens bye bye spokes as it gets trapped behind the forks.

Which always makes me wonder why the mechanics don't mount speed sensors on the inboard side of the NDS seat stay just above the junction for the chainstay, then mount the magnet next to the hub?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bura

by bura

@ms6070: because some of these devices would not transmit data within such a distance?
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD