Lynskey Helix weight (a pig?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Something doesn't line up here, their website says:

"You have a full 45 days from when you receive your Lynskey product to determine if you need to exchange or return it for any reason"

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/stor ... ion-policy

I have one of their frames and have had great customer service.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I am not amazed it came out heavy, i have a frame even more heavy and it is also very stiff titanum with bonded top and down tube.
I also thought my frame would be lighter, it is like 2 standard, none light carbon frames in weight.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikedoc

by bikedoc

8 days until UPS deliver my new Lynskey, and I friend of mine got his last week using thier trade in program. Service was great in both cases.
As for weight, I don't think this is why you buy a TI frame but saying that my XXL helix with DA and cosmic elite wheels is only 17 and a bit lbs and my partner XS with tricker bits is almost 14lbs. I never weighed the bare frames
I'm not gonna weigh the new one as I know it's gonna be porky as it's something a little different.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I hope it wasn't custom. That would be a lot of work for lynseky without compensation. I also owned a lynsky, was't concerned about their weight claims since i was in it for the ride and i already ha a weenie ride ,

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

duvivr6 wrote:Something doesn't line up here, their website says:

"You have a full 45 days from when you receive your Lynskey product to determine if you need to exchange or return it for any reason"

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/stor ... ion-policy

I have one of their frames and have had great customer service.

Not when you buy one from their discounted frames.

As for all the comments about not buying it for its weight. I'M WELL AWARE OF THAT. Everyone has their limits and for me, I was willing to go up to about 1350-1425g. When I asked what I could expect the frame to weigh, I was told "about 3 lbs". That's the lower end of that range. It came in at 1642. When I gave my range, I was just talking about the frame- no bolts, no headset, etc.

It is possible that I could have stomached the extra 20% if not for all the issues that went on after I purchased the frame. I understand many people have had pleasant experiences with Lynskey. Good for you. I did not and I beileve it's all because of one person there. My attempts to contact anyone above that person have failed.

I wasn't looking for a super light bike, I knew I was going heavier, but treating a customer like crap, not allowing them to work with the person they originally started with and then taking the attitude of, "Sale is final, most say it rides like it weighs less" is pretty much telling me to go f--- myself.

And when I say not allowing me- he told me in an email that he sees all incoming emails and I haven't heard from the original person since the day I ordered the frame.

So much for all that great Lynskey service and how "they'd rather work with a customer and gain their loyalty" (read something like that in an article about lynskey).

If anyone knows how to contact David Lynskey, I'd love to speak to or email him.
Speedplay is the devil!

fa63

by fa63

Check Lynskey's Facebook page; I think someone may be taking a dig at this thread [emoji52]

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Someone posted a comment about them never publishing frame-weights on their web, and the thread was deleted :)

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

This is over. They got their frame back, I got my money back (minus shipping) and I'll never consider a lynskey again. From some of the feedback I received from others it seems as if you're willing to go along with whatever THEY recommend or think is correct, you'll be fine. If you have your own ideas about what you want to do/use when building up a frameset and Don Erwin (sales mgr) doesn't agree, then you get an experience like mine.

It all started when I was working with a different (original) salesperson. The frame requires a 42/52 headset and they only offered the cane creek 110 headset for $160. The headset has to be one of the parts on a bicycle that will not make you faster, stronger, or anything else (unless it fails). I find the "best of the best" for a headset to be the "worst of the worst" when it comes to pissing away money. The original salesperson (Michael) told me there was a cane creek 40 headset that he could sell me for $50 and I could use an enve 1.0 fork instead of a heavier tapered fork w/ a crown reducer. With his estimate on the weight of the frame at around 3 lbs, I decided I could be happy w/ the weight of the frame, after all, it would (still) build into a pretty light bike w/ the compenents I'd be using.

For those of you who have (repeatedly stated you don't buy ti for weight, I f---ing know that, you also don't buy it to weigh the same as a freaking steel frame, I weigh 150 lbs (68 kg ) and stiffness really won't be an issue, especially when the older versions of the helix were plenty stiff and came in between 1250 and 1350g (let's remember this one was almost 1650g, no headset, no bolts, etc).

He told me to order the frameset and call him w/ a credit card the next morning to take care of the headset. I did. He was out sick and they asked me to email Don Erwin, sales mgr (I have a few other names for him). I sent him a copy of the email with instructions about the headset and received a response that essentially said he didn't agree with that and he wouldn't honor it because he felt the 110 headset was the way to go. The frame had also shipped already because Michael was not in to let them know what was up.

I emailed back asking him exactly what I needed so I could get the headset myself (elsewhere) and he would not tell me, instead he told me I should wait until Monday to sort it out with Michael (I'm presuming he was going to tell him not to sell me the cheaper headset because he went on about how he tries to micromanage Michael as best he can).

I then emailed Michael and voiced my displeasure with the whole situation and Don's tough sh-t attitude. I (almost immediately) received an email back from Don telling me that "as sales mgr he sees all incoming emails" and that I shouldn't read emotion into emails and he didn't feel he had a tough sh-t attitude, but apologized and then processed the order for the cheaper headset. Funny thing is, I didn't read emotion into what he was saying, he was essentially saying no to what someone else had offered (in print) because he didn't think it was "good enough" for the lynskey frameset. We went back and forth with a few more emails that pretty much confirmed this - the difference between the 40 and 110 headsets is pretty much the 110 has a 110 year warranty and is made of stainless steel. It's the best you can get. Again, it's a freaking headset, who the hell cares - to me the only 110 that mattered was the $110 difference in price. (as an aside, I had already found a few places online to get a 42/52 headset when he processed the order).

I never ever had an experience like this when buying a frame and it left me with a really bad taste for Lynskey. When the frame showed up and came in at 1642 g, I emailed Michael (the original guy) and again got a response from Don who responded, "very sorry for your disappointment. Do enjoy every ride, as I believe you, like all others who've reviewed, say this bike rides like it weighs alot less than expected." I then asked about the satisfaction guarantee and I was told it was a discounted frame and all sales are final. He said it stated that in large print on their loft page. It states it, but in very tiny print and that's not where you actually look at the frames or descriptions, but I missed it.

At the urging of a few people, I attempted to contact David Lynskey to see if something could be done. I tried using the company email address to contact him but no luck. I posted a 1 star review on their facebook page and mentioned I'd be waiting to see if Lynskey would respond. No response from Lynskey but Don had a comment:

"David does not have a factory email address Eric. Please drop the drama and get on with your life. You've let less than a third of a Pound ruin your life for the past two weeks. Bud,that's way too much life to waste. Go ride a bike other than one of ours. Honestly you're not the kind of rider we want representing our brand period."

So, it was over half a pound, but with weight estimates like they give, I'm not surprised he was off. It was also about a week during which all of this took place. No drama, just bad business and the whole point was after all of that I didn't want to ride "their" bike. If they didn't want me riding "their" frame, why did it take filing a dispute through the credit card to get them to take back the frame? Even then I didn't push for shipping to be refunded, nor for them to pay for return shipping.

Maybe my expectations are too high. I decided to continue riding my neilpryde bura sl, my original frame developed a crack and they warrantied it and were able to have a replacement to me in just over a week (more in line with the customer service you'd expect). FYI, their replacement frame/fork came in about 30g lighter than the original.

From posting on other forums and reading some of those reviews of the Lynskey facebook page, it appears there have been others who had similar experiences. They can keep their tin can.

That's what went on. If you like the company and think they're wonderful, that's great, I had a (very) different experience.
Speedplay is the devil!

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

glad i found this, was gonna ordered a GR270 but 4.1lb sounds super heavy for Ti frame in size 56, i guess they over build the frame to avoid lawyers

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Stuff that crap...I would have bought a Seven or Firefly.

My old Merlin Extralight is lighter than that...

2lo8

by 2lo8

"very sorry for your disappointment. Do enjoy every ride, as I believe you, like all others who've reviewed, say this bike rides like it weighs alot less than expected."

So it's flexy and heavy?
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

One company i spoke to told me, most customers complain if they end up with a bike that is flexing. So they built the frames with prio nr 1, to be stiffer.
I also noted it translated into alot of weight. Further more, i have had two ti/carbon bikes. I never felt these were better than a carbon frame of quality.
There is no way you can tweak a metal frame as you can with a carbon. Also, i'd rather buy a steel bike if i did it over again.
Tred bikes have a light steel bike. Downsizer, rear brake mount is in conjunction bith BB and chainstays.
When i asked about this, they told me the ride feel of the bike, only permits this mount. In the end, i went for another Ax Lightness bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

shuttlenote

by shuttlenote

"David does not have a factory email address Eric. Please drop the drama and get on with your life. You've let less than a third of a Pound ruin your life for the past two weeks. Bud,that's way too much life to waste. Go ride a bike other than one of ours. Honestly you're not the kind of rider we want representing our brand period."

This takes the cake right here.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

This thread gets exhumed on the day before my Lynskey goes out for delivery.

What timing... :shock: :shock: :shock: