Lynskey Helix weight (a pig?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I just received my Helix frame (size medium) and it came in at 1642g (3 lbs 9.9 oz). I was expecting it to be around 1350g. Is this the normal weight for one of these?

This is on the scale with all of their bolts and seatpost clamp (clamp is 20g, bolts are about 2g each and there are 5 of them) and no headset.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steventran

by steventran

I don't have the Helix with the tapered headtube so I can't say if that weight is normal. My HelixOS (small) was 1427g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidalone

by davidalone

Ti is heavy. you don't buy Ti primarily for light weight.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I'd still call it a pig (weight wise, not being rude!)

My Archon was 1197 (including HeadSet) when it arrived.

Have removed the 50-70gs of paint/clearcoat since, so probably 1050g ish? (Never got to re-weigh it after stripping the paint though as my scales were knackered at the time :( )

And its no flimsy Ti frame designed for pure weight savings. Although I have no comparison to any other Ti (or carbon frame for that matter), its plenty stiffin flat out sprint.
Last edited by WeightySteve on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jimborello

by jimborello

I had my Helix OS at 6.8kg with and enve 1.0 fork, enve 6.7 tubulars powertap, enve cockpit, ax lightness Europaseatpost, campy SR 80th anniversary and Look Keo blade ti pedals. You cant get much lower than that, I didnt weigh the frame when it arrived but as Davidalone said, you dont buy such a nice ti frameset to build a super weight weenie bike.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I wasn't looking for a superlight bike, but when you ask them what the frame weighs and they say 3 lbs and it comes in half a pound over, it's an issue. That and a whole host of other things they did.
Speedplay is the devil!

spookyload

by spookyload

They have a great satisfaction guarantee. Send it back and buy a carbon frame. Medium will fit me nicely, and when they get it back they will put it in the loft where I can buy it on the cheap.

RyanH

by RyanH

While Ti isn't light relative to carbon, that's almost up there with steel frames. I was close to pulling the trigger on getting a Helix but I'm now glad I didn't. My Siena was 1,330-ish. I just picked up a Medium Xicon which I've seen people weigh them in at 1,260, and then there's the Archon at sub 1,200.

Again, while Ti isn't necessarily the best material if you want the lightest build possible, it doesn't mean you can't have a nice, light build with a reasonable weight Ti frame. My Siena was 6.1kg with a 1300g frame while my Parlee build was 5.9kg with a 700ish gram frame (heavy Powermeter on both btw).

kgt

by kgt

It seems than not only Italians are lying about their weights. :o
I agree you don't buy ti for its low weight. All ww ti frames were used to be noodles. OTOH 1642gr for a medium probably equals a stiff and super durable ti frame to keep for a lifetime. Enjoy it.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

No, the whole experience has been a nightmare. I don't want their frame anymore. I would advise anyone looking for a ti frame to stay as far away from these guys. Even if it costs a bit more money, you'd probably be better off with one of the many other ti frame builders (anyone else as a matter of fact).

I didn't buy it for it's low weight, but they told me it would weigh about 3 lbs. It weighs just over 3.6 lbs. Had it come in around 1350-1400 g I would have been ok with it, but at 1642 g and all the aggravation and attitude I've received from Don Erwin @ Lynskey makes it that much worse.

This experience is turning out to be almost as bad as the one I had with Ciamillo.
Speedplay is the devil!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Update--

since the whole experience was awful and they told me the sale was final and it'll be ok because "most people say the frame rides like it weighs much less" (their words not mine), it was making me ill just looking at the frame, so as a last resort I filed a dispute with though the credit card and sure enough I received an email that said nothing but had a direct link to their return request form.

Thank goodness. They really think the world of themselves at Lynskey.
Speedplay is the devil!

la rosa

by la rosa

i have 3 of their frames, so far my experience was good.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I kinda want to hear about this experience! :popcorn:

User Name

by User Name

hmm, that sounds very heavy to me. My steel Cervelo is 1685g (58), my 56cm alu Soloist is 1395g, my 58 alu Soloist is 1412g, and my old Caad 7 is 1265g (58). All totally bare; no bolts, clamps, cable guides...nothin -- just rear derailleur hangers
Last edited by User Name on Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm hoping I'm just about done. I got their form filled out, got an RA# and had that frame overnighted. Dropped at the post office (yes, USPS overnight insured is cheaper than fedex ground or ups ground insured). They'll have it Monday. They told me I'd be refunded after the frame was inspected so I took out the camera and took about 18-25 pictures of the frame w/ my Nikon before I packed it back up.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com