Cranks with a fully removable axle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Can any point me in the direction of a bb30 crankset around a Shimano 105 price point that I can take the axle off of both arms? I need to get a 120 q-factor for this project of mine and the plan is to machine my own axle but use an off the shelf crank. I was thinking of rival because I know you can remove the axle on Red and Force (despite what the manual says ;) ).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kman

by kman

Si cranks - older model, 2nd hand?
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

davidalone

by davidalone

Sram S900? newer force cranks? a budget option might be gossamer, I think you can pull off the arm. have to check that, though.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

@davidalone if you can I'd really appreciate it!

deek

by deek

SRAM S900, Force, and Quarq cranks all have a removable spindle. Those are probably more expensive than 105 though. X9 on the mountain side has a removable spindle. That's probably the cheapest one that I can think of, even from other manufacturers.

120 Q factor is really narrow. Be conscious of issues with the chain hitting the crankarm when in the small cog. You'll need to be running 1x and less than 130mm spacing probably.

Edit: All FSA cranks have the spindle pressed in on one side as far as I know. Campy and Specialized are both pressed in. Praxis is pressed in. THM is pressed in. Rotor has a removable spindle. Cannondale has a removable spindle.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

@deek it will be for a 1x setup and thanks for the information.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

To go to 120 mm Q from a standard 150 mm means the cranks are closer by 15mm at each side. So be thinking about crank/chainstay clearance as well as heel clearance at the back of the stroke.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com