Supersix evo vs cervelo R3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

Hi, for about the same price, i can have a supersix evo 2014 on sram red (2013-2014 not the 22 version) with carbon wheels 38mm from china.
Or cervelo R3 on complete dura ace 9000 even the crankset. With ksyrium sl superlight premium .

I would like your opinions and advice on that, thank you
N
Ninja

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have had both and preferred the EVO; however, the deal is for the R3 since DA9000 is head and shoulders above SRAM Red imho. Also, the carbon wheels can be had for $300usd so not a big selling feature. The Ksyriums are nice and worth much more.

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

ok thank you
Ninja

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

here the 2 bikes
Attachments
$_27.JPG
p4pb11669975.jpg
Ninja

maquisard

by maquisard

The Cervélo is a slightly more comfortable frame and feels better when climbing. On the descents the EVO wins, the current Caad10, EVO etc are the best descending bikes I have ridden, they feel 'planted' on the road and you will be able to descend full speed with complete confidence.

I have an R5 and a Caad10 and am seriously considering getting an EVO because of the handling of the Caad10.

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

maquisard wrote:The Cervélo is a slightly more comfortable frame and feels better when climbing. On the descents the EVO wins, the current Caad10, EVO etc are the best descending bikes I have ridden, they feel 'planted' on the road and you will be able to descend full speed with complete confidence.

I have an R5 and a Caad10 and am seriously considering getting an EVO because of the handling of the Caad10.

really? pretty cool, I know the evo but I would like to try cervelo but really not sure yet ;-)
Ninja

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

it seems that cervelo have many problems with cracked frames?
Ninja

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Oh brother......

uraqt

by uraqt

Both bike have "lifetime warranty" : )

I think both bike have different geometry... I feel the best approach is to ride both and when I say ride it's more like a demo, the whole weekend on each bike and maybe two weekends ... Also you have to use the same wheels on both bikes too... yep it's costly but we are talking about a bike that could last the rest of your life...

That said I really like my R5 : ) and trust the Cervelo "PR" and warranty.

C

ninjanoir78

by ninjanoir78

goodboyr wrote:Oh brother......

oh brother ??

it helps or?? lol
Ninja

eric

by eric

It's been discussed. A lot.

The R2.5s were recalled. Cervelo went above and beyond on that IMHO.
Some early R3s did have a problem with the frame cracking around the BB shell. My 2006 cracked in 2009. I got a 2009 R3SL as a warranty replacement and it's been fine. I put about 5000 miles a year on that bike. Though I am careful when changing BBs on it.

Consensus is that the newer BBright frames don't have any more problems than any other bikes.

Other manufacturers have issues- some people's Evos have come out crooked or with various defects. And no frame is going to be 100% secure against failure- not at the weights we're getting them at. Even different materials can not save you- I have had steel and ti frames break. That's why there is a warranty and one reason why frames cost so much. So find a company that honors its warranty and will be around for a while.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

^ this. That's why I said "oh brother".. …its been discussed a lot but keeps coming up.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Neutral observer here. I have neither frame (although I do have DA9000 on my current bike), but in my opinion, the R3 seems like a better deal. It appears that both of these bikes are coming from the used market, so warranties might not (probably aren't) transferable. If that's the case, looking strictly at what comes with the frames, I prefer a known commodity (Mavic wheels) over the Chinese wheels. That's not to say that the Chinese clinchers aren't good wheels, but they're an unknown.

As mentioned above, you can always get the Chinese carbon clinchers, if that's what you fancy, later on.

Stats

by Stats

I'd personally go the R3 & here's why:
- DA9000 is a better, newer groupset that in my experience is functionally better
- I prefer the Mavic wheels to the unknown quantity that's on the Cannondale
- I've seen more quality issues in Cannondale than I have seen in Cervelo, and my personal experience is 2 Cannondale's, both had problems - I wouldn't buy another.
- The Cervelo (IMO) looks better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Cervelo had lots of problems with the R2.5 and the R3 in the past. This is well documented. From what I hear things are much better now, I wouldn't really know because our sponsor LBS dumped them back when things were so bad with their frames and the cracking. For Cannondale, I'd say I've seen more issues with their carbon bikes being misaligned or cosmetic issues here on this forum lately (The Cannondale fan boys will be coming for me now to link specific examples.). Between the two I would lean towards Cervelo now. FWIW

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk