Retro Looking Crank?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spookyload

by spookyload

Bling wrote:
madcow wrote:Not only looking retro but still keeping things unique I'd go with either the White Industries or the Paul:

It looks like the Paul crank is only available for single speed. Damn.

Additionally, in my search for a 'retro' inspired crank it appears a square taper BB is the most common option. I have a little trepidation installing a square taper, because it's been about 17 years since I've used one. Is that justified?

I was thinking about ordering this one from Planet X USA (the aesthetics and price are perfec, but again it's square taper):

Anyone have experience with it?

Thanks again for all the info everyone!

Looks like a Campy Super Record knock off. Not bad looking. I personally loathed square tapered cranks. A place where a ti spindle would actually save some weight, but oh no...creak creak creak creak.

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

I also have square taper on my steel bikes, never had a problem. Torque the crank appropriately and many problem free miles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Torque the crank...LOL. I never met a person who had a torque wrench to work on bikes till the mid 90's. Square taper was around way longer than that.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

don't want to sound like weirdy, but IMHO a steel frame with slim tubes screams for DA-7800 cranks. The reason is simple: those rounded lines harmonise very nicely with the classy look of the frame.

It's just my two cents. Either that, or 7701-7410.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

vejnemojnen wrote:don't want to sound like weirdy, but IMHO a steel frame with slim tubes screams for DA-7800 cranks. The reason is simple: those rounded lines harmonise very nicely with the classy look of the frame.

It's just my two cents. Either that, or 7701-7410.

Except the 7800 rings are ugly as sin. 7800 cranks with 7700 style rings would look beautiful.

kgt

by kgt

The only crankset a nice steel frames may ''scream'' for is one of these:

baldy

by baldy

Record crank is a thing of beauty. Have one on my winter bike and one fo my tt bikes. Never had a problem with square taper, just need a decent bb, something like a Royce if not the Record one.

verbs4us

by verbs4us

Another option is the [url]TA Carmina[/url], which can mate with a White Industries or Phil Wood BB--bombproof, bolt it and fuggetaboutit. Also comes in a triple.