Seat Packs?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

identiti66

by identiti66

Anyone use them or do you just stuff your jersey pockets? Or a fanny pack?

I want (need?) to carry:
Phone (5"+ screen)
Keys
Multitool
Tube
Patch Kit
Tyre Levers
Very Small Wallet

Could be cool to have a place for my mini pump too but not critical.

Have a jandd one that I used to use for the MTB (iirc it's a Tire Bag II ).

Thought about a frame mounted one that goes behind the stem (tri-bag?) but I dunno..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phollingswo

by phollingswo

I mostly carry stuff in jersey pockets. I really don't like saddle bags, I think they look crap. A tool roll tied up with a toe strap can look pretty cool though.

I have a little Rapha essentials case which I put a tool, levers, tube, cash and phone into, and that just goes in my jersey pocket. Food and pump I carry in the others.

kode54

by kode54

i use a Bellroy Elements now and stuff phone, money, insurance card, key and some change (just in case) in it. i also carry a poly bag with tube, patch kit, tire levers and C02. mini pump on cage mounts with bottle.

i also don't like saddle bags. had one where i could feel the weight shift from side to side climbing. never found one that looked good.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Svetty

by Svetty

I can't see my seat pack when I'm riding so the look doesn't bother me :D . I hate the look of pumps mounted on the frame though ( and they're not aero....).
I have mini-pump, spare tube, multi-tool, levers, mini-lock, patches, tyre boot & a quick-link in a seat pack and carry money, phone, and keys in a plastic bag along with gels and my waterproof/gilet in my jersey pockets. On long days I sometimes need to remove leg-warmers or arm-warmers and so have my jersey pockets available to stuff them.
Last edited by Svetty on Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

identiti66

by identiti66

I'm not particularly averse to seat packs per se but I'd like one that looked a bit 'tidier'. The jandd one is just about big enough and is well made but it has a strap that wraps around the seatpost and I don't really like that aspect.
If I could get one similarly sized, equally well made but a little less 'mtb-esque' (that only attached to the seat rails) it'd be grand.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Personally, I use a Sticky Pod. It won't fit a cell phone in it, especially not of the 5" variety, but I fit two tubes, two CO2 cartridges (plus inflator), a set of Fix-it Sticks and two tire levers. I put that in my middle pocket, with my cell phone, house and/or car keys and my riding wallet in my right pocket in a zip-lock bag. My left pocket is dedicated to my food.

Some reviews:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/05/06/rev ... ion-packs/
http://ridingagainstthegrain.com/2013/0 ... od-review/

colster

by colster

I understand how seat packs are a turn off for many, though Ortlieb make some of the better ones.
You could consider a frame pack, some companies like Vaude and Topeak make ones that go along the top tube for easy access. If they're inline with the stem then they're as aero as luggage can be

ITTY

by ITTY

This topic has been discussed pretty thoroughly @ http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91593
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

identiti66

by identiti66

ITTY wrote:This topic has been discussed pretty thoroughly @ http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91593

I did search but my keyword skills obviously failed me.. thanks man.. off for a 9 page read 8)

964Cup

by 964Cup

I use Arundel Tubi's. They work well for general use, and are nice and discreet, but also do actually fit a spare tub, gas & tools.

eric

by eric

Everyone's different- use what works for you.

I will however pass on this link for a super small pack, the smallest I know of:

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pag ... 3&minor=17

there's also a Continential version.

identiti66

by identiti66

Ended up with a Lezyne Micro-caddy in medium (and white).

Just trial run packing the thing and I got a (non-lightweight) tube, couple of tyre levers, 2 16g co2 and head, repair kit (need to address this.. take it out of its box or try glueless patches) and, in the space underneath a Genuine Innovations Flat Stack.

Saddle's a bit far forward for it to sit nicely but I'm working on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cendres

by cendres

Arundel Dual. Two tubes, two CO2s and the head just fit. No short-snagging seatpost strap is a big selling point for me.