DA 9070 chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hi, sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it. I currently run standard 53/39 chainrings and am contemplating running a 38 or 36 tooth inner ring for when I tackle some of our tougher [by my standard :oops: ] local climbs but unsure if the jump from 53 to 36 will shift properly and how much of an advantage a reduction of 1 tooth would be :noidea:

Steve
Last edited by Frankie - B on Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited the topic title to remove the screaming.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

Yes a 53/36 works just fine. A good buddy of mine is running the 53/36 on his shimano crank. Ive run 53/36, as well as 52/34 when needed and they shift just as smooth as the others.
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Ahhh Thanks for that. I guess I better get myself an chain ring ordered.......... and not tell my riding buddies :wink:
BB

Coffee & carbon

Svetty

by Svetty

I run 52/36 with a 12-25 cassette mostly and this works OK. The chainring ratio gap is a bit larger than is ideal but not a serious problem. I also use 53/39 with an 11-28 cassette which gives a similar overall ratio spread without the front ratio gap. Either is fine for varied terrain but for hills I find the 36 is more manageable as I can stick a 27 on the back.
To be honest a 50/36 with an 11-25 is probably optimal unless you're approaching pro power levels but I can't bring myself to use a 50 (which I'd use nearly all the time if I had one apart from on proper hills).
There was a thread discussing this fairly recently........

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Thanks Svetty for your thoughts. Will try again to locate that thread you mention. I run 53/39 currently with the DA cassette 12/28 which is fine for most of the inclines I ride but when it gets above 12% I could really use some help but I really don't want to compromise the down hill part too much so I don't want to run full compact. It is all a compromise though after all :wink:

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon