Bont Blitz?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey WW's!

I've been looking at getting back into Bont shoes for a while now and found that they have a new model (Blitz) out. I haven't found too much written about it or comments on the forums so I was wondering if any of you have experience with this shoe? Possibly how it comes to the Vaypor? Or just general feedback and thoughts on it?

Thanks!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I have a pair of these, though with the vast amount of snow we've had, I haven't been able to try them out. I will say that they seem like an awesome shoe for the money. Visually I think they look classier than the Vaypor, weight-wise they are similar, construction on them is very nice. The sole carbon is a little different to the Vaypor, but with the Bont "bathtub" design to the sole, I can't imagine they're going to flex much. If the standard width shoe will fit you, I think the Blitz is a good way to go. In my mind it's really their only weakness relative to the Vaypor - that they only come in the one width, whereas the Vaypor you can get wide or narrow.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

No experience (in using them) except trying on a pair of Blitz at a local shop yesterday. It was immediately noticeable that on my right foot, the end where the outer metatarsal meets the cuboid bone is very different to the left, and would require heat moulding for sure !!!

The Blitz look better than the Vaypor (for a few bucks less) and seems to be as good compared to the much more expensive Vaypor+.

The thoughts from the bloke at the shop was that the Blitz is replacing the Vaypor.

All I have to do is save the money and buy a nice flouro pair !!!!

At my local shop, the retail is A$329, but they have them listed on their web page at A$299

Edit :
dwaharvey wrote: ..... If the standard width shoe will fit you, I think the Blitz is a good way to go. In my mind it's really their only weakness relative to the Vaypor - that they only come in the one width, whereas the Vaypor you can get wide or narrow.

They come in Std & Wide, whereas the Vaypor & + come in Narrow and full custom as well (according to the website)

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Not sure where you got the info about the wide blitz - I hope you are right, but when you go to their web store the only width option is "standard"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I got it from Bont's home page - here it is for the Blitz

http://www.bont.com/Cycling/products/road/blitz/index.html

Their 'online shop' is just another store. The local one (in Adelaide - Whippets Workshop) that I tried, had the Blitz in the Neon Yellow/black, but the online shop only has black/white.

bungis

by bungis

Anyone know why Specialzed and now Bont have moved away from triple boas?

xplaza

by xplaza

I have been using them for 3 weeks now, coming from Sidi Wire.

Really happy so far with them, the fit is perfect for my feet, the Sidi were squeezing my toes a bit unfortunately. I did not even need to heat mould them, but will do it when I replace the cleats.

I think they will be vented enough for the summer, but not tried them over 20ºC yet.

Veeeery stiff sole, I noticed my feet complaining a bit the first two weeks, feeling like a hotspot on the cleat area but it keeps getting better ride after ride. I'm using the stock inner soles.

The BOA are excellent, never used them before, altough if you want to untight them they release several "clicks" at once. And I wish they decided to have a second one instead of the velcro, they would look better and allow an easier fit I think.

They are not replacing the Vaypor, they are just a more vented version in the midrange. If they fit you, they are really worth it. Wiggle has a great price for them.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Thanks for the comments everyone! Excited to hear a bit about these shoes, they definitely do interest me. I like the look of the Vaypor's and of course the top of the line thing is always appealing but from a more financially modest standpoint the Blitz appear to be a good choice.

xplaza, do you find any rub on the heel area? Is there any padding there?

I had a pair of Bont Vaypor's probably 4 years ago or so and had a terrible time with them rubbing my Achilles Tendon....
Think it might have had something to do with how low cut the Vaypors were? Just guessing here

spud

by spud

SS

don't know if this helps, but my old A1 shoes cut into my achilles tendon at the top of the tub something fierce. My Vaypor plus, which apparently use a slightly different last, do not in the slightest.

Don't know if you can draw any conclusions on the Blitz

xplaza

by xplaza

No rubbing on the achilles for me. There is some padding, I took a couple pictures:

http://s9.postimg.org/8fkefo1f3/heel1.jpg
http://s9.postimg.org/j149ro7qn/heel2.jpg

Never tried the Vaypor but I think the heel should fit similar, what they call the "Anatomical Heel Cup" on their site.

There are also some new Vaypor coming soon, check their Facebook, "Vaypor S", should be their new top of the line ;)

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

That heel area definitely looks more padded and cut differently than my old Vaypors. The Vaypor's I had seemed to have the carbon tub in the rear come up too high or just with borderline no padding on it where it was rubbing.

I understand the Anatomical Heel Cup thing but what I was experiencing wasn't so much that my heel was or wasn't being held, it was that it was being gouged by the carbon bath tub sole that came up fairly high in the back. Bont's (Vaypors) are the only shoes I have ever experience this problem which is why I'm interested in if the Blitz one (heel cup/achilles area) looks a bit different.

In testing out some Riot's when they first came out I found that issue to be gone from that model as well. Only reason I didn't end up on the Riot's was that I felt that the construction overall was kinda cheap and then I had an injury that took me out of cycling for a while so I kinda forgot about them/getting new shoes.

Also, it looks like we wear the same size (42.5) :D

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Xplaza - when looking at Wiggle from Aus, they don't show. Ribble has the Blitz for A$286, so not a huge deal cheaper.

With regards to less Boa's, it's more than likely a cost issue for them. And that it prob doesn't add much in functionality

xplaza

by xplaza

I looked at Ribble too, I think it was second cheapest for us from Europe, but they don't have half numbers which I needed. Wiggle also added the blue and yellow colors a few days ago.

Not a big deal to have a second boa sure. They made a good compromise for a mid-range shoe.

JensW

by JensW

MichaelB wrote:I got it from Bont's home page - here it is for the Blitz

http://www.bont.com/Cycling/products/road/blitz/index.html

Their 'online shop' is just another store. The local one (in Adelaide - Whippets Workshop) that I tried, had the Blitz in the Neon Yellow/black, but the online shop only has black/white.

have asked them about it and they say "That’s Asian fit, it means low arch + wide, but they are only available for our Asian dealer." so to sad for us other

about the price, best i have found http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Bont/B ... -2015/5OGF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Sigma sport don't do OS deliveries, and at current rates are A$309 before shipping. And don't seem to do international orders.

Had a look at Wiggle, and when you change delivery country to other tha Aus, they show, so they are no good for me either :( , plus don't seem to show Blitz.

Ribble were the cheapest I found, but not by much. Even the cheapest US source was A$302 before shipping.