Planet X cnc vs Ultegra 6800 brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MNX1024

by MNX1024

If you're after performance and brake feel, don't bother with Planet-X brakes, especially if you use wide rims. Modulation on that thing sucks once you're using wide rim, though not bad if you're using traditional width. I personally use 9000 brakes, but heard that the 6800 are the exact same in terms of feel and performance, just heavier. Had the Planet-X on another bike, once I got a taste of the 9000, didn't bother looking back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trustbran

by trustbran

trustbran wrote:I am fairly light (125lbs) and have no problems with braking power on the Planets. I use em descending Mt.Diablo with carbon clinchers all the time.

So if you are fairly light, you will be absolutely fine.

I failed to mention that using Reynolds Blues with the Planets are the best combo, IMO. I tried a slew of other pads and braking was ok but nothing great until the Blues got put on, made a big difference.

good luck

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Does anyone know what exactly gives Shimano brakes such superior stopping power? Is it due to a heavier and thus probably stiffer mechanism or is it just the way it actuates? If it's the actuation what's to stop someone (other than patents but this would be a personal project anyways) using a high strength composite like short fiber reinforced epoxy to copy the links and make the same mechanism at probably half the weight?

trailflow1

by trailflow1

Watch this video and you will understand how the SLR-EV brake design works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku6Y5XSpjFI

Devon

by Devon

The Planet X brakes are light, but awful. They have no power or modulation and completely mangle your cable. I'd only ever consider using them again on a dedicated hill climb bike.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

964Cup wrote:IME the PX brakes are hopeless. Pad choice might make a difference, but 5800/6800/9000 brakes are in a different league. It's just not worth the trivial weight saving (and I know this is WW).

this x 1000

5800/6800/9000's are pretty much peerless for me.

Weirdly though the brakes on my time machine (TRP Proprietary) are even more powerful, but they are very average for modulation.

Rick

by Rick

Have there ever been any quantifiable and controlled studies of "braking power" ?

I have ridden a lot in steep , long, mountain roads and I have never really noticed a significant difference in brakes from those that are reputed to be "the best" to those that are "flimsy crap".
I have noticed differences in brake pads (brands, and wear condition) and in brake adjustment, but I have been able to go from "grabby" to "mushy" on the same physical brake set based on those variables alone.
I just wonder if it is really "the brakes" or the other variables I have cited that give brakes their various reputations.
I once went straight from DA to PX and thought, "Hey, these work just fine!" :noidea:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

In my experience, the PX brakes are much more susceptible to poor power and modulation with sub-par pads and adjustment than DA or Ultegra brakes. You have to be very thorough in your setup with PX to get as an acceptable result as you can with Shimano brakes with no thought.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

+1 for trp 970/979

srshaw

by srshaw

First time I used my da9000 brakes the difference between them and my older ultegra was staggering. I would assume the latest generation ultegra would be a match for da 9000, so that would be my vote.

andrewfelix

by andrewfelix

Have used 5700 and 6800 brakes and currently running Planet X. 6800 are nicer, but I still love my Planet X esp for the weight. What pads were you guys running? And what's this about mangling cables? Just take your time setting them up, they're fine.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I should probably contribute to this post again as I started it . . .
The build I was planning got scrapped a while back and I bought a Supersix Evo Ultegra instead. Needless to say, it came equipped with 6800 brakes and frankly they are superb in every way!!

Rick

by Rick

Rick wrote:I once went straight from DA to PX and thought, "Hey, these work just fine!" :noidea:

kulivontot wrote:+1 for trp 970/979

....and I went directly from PX to TRP970, which is what I am using now.
Nice brakes!
But I didn't really notice a dramatic improvement in braking power when I switched. To tell you the truth, I only went with them because they are light AND they match my red and white bike so perfectly. :)

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've used DA 7800, Campy Record Skeleton, TRP R960s and TRP R920s, and Planet-X (new version - longer cam arm)
The DA's and TRP R960's both seemed the most powerful, and I couldn't tell a real difference between the two (but the TRP R960's are lighter).
The Planet-X brakes were at least as good as the TRP R920's and both of those seemed stronger to me than the Record Skeleton brakes (with the rear single pivot) - which, to me, in comparison to the other brakes sucked. I'm assume the Ultegra brakes would have most of the stopping power of DA, (similar design, a little heavier) and will probably be a little stronger than the Planet-X, but the Planet-X brakes (newer version), work great for me and are WAY lighter. This is WW, so I vote for the Planet-X.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

It seems people here are divided into 2 camps - those who can't tell a difference between the two and those who are die-hard believers that there's a HUGE gap in performance. I am in the former group but have only had my Planet Xs for a week or so. After seeing this thread, I did think differently about them but there's a lot to be said about the placebo effect. Whatever your opinion, there are so many variables to consider here (pads, pad wear, cable tension, rims, conditions, cable wear, current speed, brake lever type, hand fatigue, etc) but it seems logical that the main difference would be caliper stiffness due to weight differences and structural integrity. What are we talking here though, 1%? As long as you've set everything up right and keep on top of maintenance, I don't see why there should be a huge difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com