Planet X cnc vs Ultegra 6800 brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

So I have been pondering what brakes to go for on my new build. It's no weenie build by any means, so weight isn't all that important (although as usual, the lighter the better) I will be running 6800 f & r mechs and cassette along with levers/shifters, but using FSA SL-k cranks. So it would be kind of nice to go for the matching brakes, plus they seem to get excellent reviews and are available for very cheap. But on the other hand, the Planet X brakes look very nice and I like the lower profile appearance. A lot of you guys on here rate them and the rumours of awkward set up dilemmas etc don't bother me.
If the performance is comparable to the Ultegra calipers then it's a quick and simple way to save over 100g for only an extra £25.
It would be nice to hear from people who have experience with both brakes who can fill me in on lever feel, power and build quality etc
Or should I just bite the bullet and get Dura Ace!!
Cheers
James

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

6800 brakes are the gold standard for performance. The PX brakes performance are not even in the same ballpark.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r3awak3n

by r3awak3n

What about Far and Near?
From my understanding they weight a bit more than the planet x but much less than the shimanos and brake better than the planet x (prob not as good as the shimanos).

I just won a brand new pair on ebay, I got them for a song probably the best deal I ever got on the bay. Hope they are good going from skeleton centaur.

davidalone

by davidalone

in my experience none of the cheap weenie brakes (KCNC, planet X, far Near) match the Big S in brake performance.

will they work? yes. are they cheap? yes. are they pretty? yes. are they light? yes. but they do give up something somewhere. modulation is generally fine ( personally they aren't as firm as the shimano brakes, sort of like sram rivals so I don't like them but my sister likes them. ) . top end brake power is definitely lower than shimanos.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks guys. I think it will be the Shimano then. I want power and reliability over the weight saving I think, plus they will match the rest of the kit better :thumbup:
Money is tight for the build too (got married and bought my first house all in the last 12 months!) so getting the pair of 6800s for £78 will free up some money for finishing touches.
Thanks for the replies

SDP

by SDP

trp 920s
Bit heavier than px but great brakes..

springs

by springs

I'm also thinking about replacing 6800 brakes with Planet X on my new bike. I'm very happy with my X brakes on my old bike, but I'm 135 pounds and don't overly stress brakes although I do ride in the mountains. At my weight Planet X brakes are more than adequate in stopping power.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

SDP wrote:trp 920s
Bit heavier than px but great brakes..

They are nice looking brakes.
Anyone else using them? Other opinions on them welcomed

aaric

by aaric

Planet-X don't stop as well as 6800, 9000, or ee. But with aluminum brake tracks, dry weather, and a lower weight rider, they can be a great way to save some weight if you are ok with their more finicky setup. Add in wet conditions, carbon wheels, or a heavier rider, and it may not be the place you want to save grams.

FWIW, I just switched my wife over to 6800 from planet-x, because the 6800 are so set and forget and she'd rather have the stopping confidence than save a few grams.

Rick

by Rick

I've run both the Planet X CNC brakes and the TRP 970

They both work perfectly well; I'll have to admit I am not a brake connoisseur. The both stop me whenever I want and seem to have a good feel.
Both used with SRAM Force and SRAM Red levers.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks for all the input guys. I am going to go for 6800.

trustbran

by trustbran

I am fairly light (125lbs) and have no problems with braking power on the Planets. I use em descending Mt.Diablo with carbon clinchers all the time.

So if you are fairly light, you will be absolutely fine.

Bantamben

by Bantamben

I have a black set of px CNBC brakes I'll sell cheap I just pulled off my bike. They are super light and a great price. I will say they are a little harder to set up than ultegra just takes a few minutes longer to get it right. Shimano brakes really are the best easy to adjust good stopping power almost too much actually but they are boat anchors even the DA are heavy. Pm mne if interested if weight is no issue at all stick with shimano if you wanna shave 1/2 a lb if recommend Px

964Cup

by 964Cup

IME the PX brakes are hopeless. Pad choice might make a difference, but 5800/6800/9000 brakes are in a different league. It's just not worth the trivial weight saving (and I know this is WW).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

964Cup wrote:IME the PX brakes are hopeless. Pad choice might make a difference, but 5800/6800/9000 brakes are in a different league. It's just not worth the trivial weight saving (and I know this is WW).

Hey, I'd love to have a 964cup...for real.

I rode the PX following on Da7800 and succeeded by EE's, and I can say that Reynolds Blues they worked just fine. Not the same feel, but they stopped acceptably on any road that my 65kg's rode them on.

But then again, I have a measly 3.2 Carrera with a Protomotive turbokit. :D
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record