Cannondale Synapse Alloy Sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

When Cannondale give the sizing of a road frame as '54', for example, is this the actual measurement of seat tube from centre of BB to very top of seat tube?

Really, it is my expectation that this would at least be stated somewhere on the Cannondale website. They prefer, for some reason, to give what they call 'measured size' from '75mm in front of bottom bracket center to top of top tube'. Bonkers. Reason good enough not to buy a Cannondale.

Thanks.
Last edited by Valbrona on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

What's wrong with stack and reach?

I rode an Orbea Orca size M for a long time (before S&R concept became widespread), calculated stack & reach manually, compared that to a Supersix Evo of size 54 - bang! riding the same setback, stem (length & angle), with a couple of mm of spacer difference.

Or is there another reason you want to know that virtual "size" number which hardly tells you anything?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

Valbrona wrote:When Cannondale give the sizing of a road frame as '54', for example, is this the actual measurement of seat tube from centre of BB to very top of seat tube?

Really, it is my expectation that this would at least be stated somewhere on the Cannondale website. They prefer, for some reason, to give what they call 'measured size' from '75mm in front of bottom bracket center to top of top tube'. Bonkers. Reason good enough not to buy a Cannondale.

Thanks.

54 is the nearest rounding of the stack size (54,4)

not sure which geo table you are looking at, but the 'measured size' is the seat tube lenght where the top of the top tube meets the seat tube (52 in case of a 54 Super Six.

I happen to have a 54 Super Six, and the size you are looking for (centre BB to the very top of the seat tube) is almost 56 cm (measured by yours truly)

Valbrona

by Valbrona

GT56 wrote:54 is the nearest rounding of the stack size (54,4)

Thanks for taking the time to respond. But if you think 'Cannondale size' equates to stack size you are, and with the greatest respect, wrong. The frame in question is Cannondale size 44 but stack size is given as 52.7.

I need to know seat tube length of a size 44 Women's Synapse Alloy and I don't think Cannondale respond to end-user enquiries - at least they haven't done so yet.

http://www.cannondale.com/uk_gb/2015/bi ... disc-5-105

wingguy

by wingguy

Valbrona wrote:Bonkers. Reason good enough not to buy a Cannondale.

Why is it bonkers? How many people have any use whatsoever for that measurement? How many companies do give that measurement on bikes with sloping top tubes?

Valbrona

by Valbrona

I have never known any other manufacturer not clearly state length of seat tube. Of course seat tube length matters to some buyers.

The Alloy Synapse uses 25.4 diameter seatposts and these are just not that widely available in a variety of lengths and setbacks. So if a rider is right up at the limit mark of their seatpost, well then the limit is the limit because with 25.4 it is just not that easy to go out and buy a good quality longer seatpost with the right amount of setback.
Last edited by Valbrona on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Cannondale have always published full geometry charts that seem as good as most manufacturers. I see what you mean though.
It just looks to me like they have not bought the geo charts up to date for a 44 cm frame. The charts all seem to stop at 48 cm.

I did find this and I'd believe that carbon and alloy models have the same geo - youd have to do some further comparisons.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/smsimg/65/5485-20880-full-synapsecarbonwomens_b2c_67-65.gif
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Judging by the geo chart and using a measuring tape on my own Synapse alloy, the measure given is centre of bb to top of seat tube. It looks funny on the diagram I'll grant you, showing a measurement from centre of BB to top of top tube, but it seems to be the conventional measurement.

Measurement based on a 2013 alloy and geo chart.

identiti66

by identiti66

Valbrona wrote:I don't think Cannondale respond to end-user enquiries - at least they haven't done so yet.

If you can, be patient, I have had cause to contact them twice and both times they have responded.
Neither response was any use to me whatsoever but they did respond.

Valbrona wrote:The Alloy Synapse uses 25.4 diameter seatposts

Is this a new (or frame size/gender) thing? My '13 alloy Synapse uses 27.2.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM