Enve 4.5 Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bukes

by Bukes

Just ordered a set of 4.5 rims to lace to Chris King R45s. Will post details when everything is built up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

For once it seems we actually get a pretty good deal here in Sweden. With a 10% club discount I can pick up any SES clincher wheelset except the 8.9 at approximately €2075 EUR which ain't bad. Probably buying a set of 4.5's next month...

boots2000

by boots2000

You mention rim weights.
What kind of complete wheelset weight are you seeing with these rims?

jimborello

by jimborello

Damn now we have too many wheel options. I use 6.7 and I couldnt be happier with them, but a little shallower rim is nice.

Cyclistforum

by Cyclistforum

Awesome wheels; the most versatile of the line-up? Question remains - these or the LW Meilensteins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ergott

by ergott

boots2000 wrote:You mention rim weights.

Figure on adding about 480-490g for spokes, nipples, and Tune hubs. Adjust the numbers accordingly if you are interested in different hubs.

Ainsy

by Ainsy

Has anyone ridden these wheels in DT240s and R45 guise that can give an opinion on whether there is any performance difference between the 2 hubs in the Enve 4.5 guise?

eigner

by eigner

Would it make sense to use these rims on a disc brake equipped bike?
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

VTBike

by VTBike

ergott wrote:
boots2000 wrote:You mention rim weights.

Figure on adding about 480-490g for spokes, nipples, and Tune hubs. Adjust the numbers accordingly if you are interested in different hubs.

What are the pluses and minuses of going with Tune over CK? I've read a thread or two stating that Tune are just "show pieces" and don't hold up. Context is that i'm a 200 lb rider, and do alot of climbing out of the saddle. All things being equal I'd rather have Tune, but not at the cost of 'strength of build' or overall quality..

Thanks --

ergott

by ergott

200lbs? Use White Industries. Only 35g heavier than R45 for the set. With that added weight you get a ti cassette carrier and steel axle which make the hub significantly stiffer than others.

Otherwise, Tune can be very durable. I have my friend that races on a set of Reynolds KOM rims and Tune rear hub (Alchemy front). He has well over 15K miles on them and they are working great.

ergott

by ergott

eigner wrote:Would it make sense to use these rims on a disc brake equipped bike?

Enve makes a disc version of their rims.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I have a lot of miles on my Tune hubs with no issues. I would recommend them over Kings, mainly because I wasn't a big fan of my King Classics.

superdx

by superdx

ergott wrote:
eigner wrote:Would it make sense to use these rims on a disc brake equipped bike?

Enve makes a disc version of their rims.

Clincher though, wish they were tubulars. The weight difference is huge.

VTBike

by VTBike

ergott wrote:200lbs? Use White Industries. Only 35g heavier than R45 for the set. With that added weight you get a ti cassette carrier and steel axle which make the hub significantly stiffer than others.

Otherwise, Tune can be very durable. I have my friend that races on a set of Reynolds KOM rims and Tune rear hub (Alchemy front). He has well over 15K miles on them and they are working great.
d

Thanks for the thoughts. So would you recommend against Tune for a heavy rider? Or just saying that part for part, the WI's are beefier? I'm curious about what a stiffer hub (between Tune and WI) in the real world would mean.. if anything. I have to admit that the Tunes are enticing from a weight (almost 100g lighter than the WI) and style standpoint (love the White, and that nobody has them)..

As a note, i've been riding Alchemy elf/orc for 3 years now with zero issues. Love those things.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Tune is a good and stiff design. The designs aren't all that different, just how the bearings are loaded. The bearing placements are similar. It comes down to the Axle stiffness. The steel axle will definitely be stiffer. The Tune one has enough material to be relatively stiff though.

The flex will manifest itself in the form of more internal friction in the hub under load and some lateral flex at the rim. Any flex in the hub is exaggerated out at the rim. Honestly, the amount of flex is still small relative to tire flex etc.

Tune can handle a 200lb guy if the rest of the build is good.