Enve 4.5 Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mimason

by mimason

stanseven wrote: In a comparative test of wheels they rated the 303 as slightly better than the Enve 4.5 in crosswinds.

Please post where this is rated. Im surprised this is the case since the 4.5 is only out for a month or less now. thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I think it may have been the 6.7 front wheel vs. the 404 FC. I remember seeing it too but I can't remember where.

Lafolie

by Lafolie

feeling the love LOL :-)

ergott

by ergott

The Zipp hub will build a laterally stiffer wheel than a DT 240 will. The flange spacing is significantly better. The radial lacing was only worse for transmitting torque.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Has anyone got the weight of clincher enve 4.5's with tyres installed?

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Mine weighed in at 2.3kg with enve carbon hubs, enve skewers, 25mm conti tires/butyl inner tubes 60/80mm valves, 12-25 dura ace cassette and a few grams of counter balance wheel weights.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

scottmmw

by scottmmw

PinaF8 wrote:Mine weighed in at 2.3kg with enve carbon hubs, enve skewers, 25mm conti tires/butyl inner tubes 60/80mm valves, 12-25 dura ace cassette and a few grams of counter balance wheel weights.

That's good to know, weighed my magic r-sys and they are about 2.3kg with 25mm vittorias, latex 51mm valves and 11-28 dura ace casettte. I'm looking at possibly purchasing enve 4.5's but will prob go with ck hub rather than carbon so will take an extra weight penalty on that. Or would it be worth going tubular????

PinaF8

by PinaF8

scottmmw wrote:
PinaF8 wrote:Mine weighed in at 2.3kg with enve carbon hubs, enve skewers, 25mm conti tires/butyl inner tubes 60/80mm valves, 12-25 dura ace cassette and a few grams of counter balance wheel weights.

That's good to know, weighed my magic r-sys and they are about 2.3kg with 25mm vittorias, latex 51mm valves and 11-28 dura ace casettte. I'm looking at possibly purchasing enve 4.5's but will prob go with ck hub rather than carbon so will take an extra weight penalty on that. Or would it be worth going tubular????

Definitely go with the CK hubs since the rear carbon hubs are narrow it causes flex allowing the rim to touch pads. No comments about going tubular.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

lowside67

by lowside67

I had the 3.4s with King Hubs and at 70kg, I could fairly easily flex the rims into rubbing the brake pads. I have since sold them and continue to contemplate a set of 4.5s which are meant to be a significant upgrade - more aero, stiffer, improved brake track, etc. at minimal weight penalty.

My 3.4s were "artwork" but somehow they still felt like they need to be babied too much - I think I need a cheaper set of wheels so I am less emotionally attached to them!

Mark

soonyoung

by soonyoung

Oh Enve 4.5 is my wanna be wheel. Sorry that it does not be your answer.

SABARRAS

by SABARRAS

Mine came in at 2.3 Kg

Front = 978g
Rear = 1343g

Tyres - Continental Grand Prix 4000 IIs 700 x 25c
Tubes - Continental Lite tubes
Cassette - SRAM Red 22, 11-28 T
Quick release - Alpha-bike (carbon/Titanium/aluminium)

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

TL;DR - IMHO you are better off with Boras.

I have 4.5s with Chris King hubs which are currently set up with MIchelin Power Competition tires and Bontrager latex tubes. I'll weigh the front when I have a chance (rear has a cassette).

I bought them during last year's Zipp hub recall since I thought my Zipps would take 90 days to turn around (they took 3 weeks). I own 404 Firecrest, 808 Firecrest, 202 Firecrest, Reynolds Assault, and Campagnolo Bora One 50.

For the similar profile wheels I would rank them:

- Campy Bora One 50
- Zipp 404 Firecrest
- Enve 4.5
- Reynolds Assault

While the Chris King hubs are amazing, the Enve 4.5 ride quality and braking effectiveness+noise are nothing special. Since I already had a set of the Boras, the only reason I didn't buy another set of Boras instead of the Enve 4.5 is because I needed wheels right away and Campy pricing in the US is terrible vs. Europe. I didn't have time to wait for Campy shipment from Starbike, and bought directly from Enve because they delivered in days (with the Chris King hub choice and custom decal colors).

The Bora 50 is just godlike (though I'm putting Zipp 454s on my spring Madone 9 build).

Rocky

by Rocky

WonderSausage wrote:TL;DR - IMHO you are better off with Boras.

I have 4.5s with Chris King hubs which are currently set up with MIchelin Power Competition tires and Bontrager latex tubes. I'll weigh the front when I have a chance (rear has a cassette).

I bought them during last year's Zipp hub recall since I thought my Zipps would take 90 days to turn around (they took 3 weeks). I own 404 Firecrest, 808 Firecrest, 202 Firecrest, Reynolds Assault, and Campagnolo Bora One 50.

For the similar profile wheels I would rank them:

- Campy Bora One 50
- Zipp 404 Firecrest
- Enve 4.5
- Reynolds Assault

While the Chris King hubs are amazing, the Enve 4.5 ride quality and braking effectiveness+noise are nothing special. Since I already had a set of the Boras, the only reason I didn't buy another set of Boras instead of the Enve 4.5 is because I needed wheels right away and Campy pricing in the US is terrible vs. Europe. I didn't have time to wait for Campy shipment from Starbike, and bought directly from Enve because they delivered in days (with the Chris King hub choice and custom decal colors).

The Bora 50 is just godlike (though I'm putting Zipp 454s on my spring Madone 9 build).

Hi..

Surprised the Bora One 50s beat the Enve 4.5 SES. It's currently a toss up between these 2 for me.
The Enve 4.5 is gonna cost me twice that of the Bora One 50s. Could you elaborate "godlike"?.. :)
Storck Aernario Pro (Campy Chorus)
Bianchi Infinito CV (Campy Chorus)
Storck Fenomalist (Retired)