Questions before I wrap bars for the first time

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

identiti66

by identiti66

Isn't starting near the stem or bar ends a bit of a no-brainer??
In case it isn't, I'll start at the bar ends.

I have the direction of wrapping settled in my head now so I'm not risking any confusion by going into that further.

jo.k

by jo.k

Two small tips:

- It can be a good idea to wrap the bars all the way in electrical tape before you wrap with bar tape. The reason for this is that you don't get all the residue from the glue all over the bar when you remove the tape. The added weight for the electrical tape stretched thinly should be marginal.

- A simple technique for starting the wrap is simply putting the end of the tape into the bar end, then start wrapping with approx. 1/2 overlap of the bar end. There was a video of Contador's mechanic wrapping like this posted a few years back that was really good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

identiti66

by identiti66

Got my bars fitted now, levers on.. it's looking like the way the cables come out of the SRAM levers lends itself to one cable along the front of the bars and one along the rear.
Otherwise I'll be running an outer out of the lever and across the top of the bar between the hood and the flat to get it to the front and that's going to make a lump (ridge?) where my hand is going to rest.

I did see a video where the meknic stuck the end of the tape inside the bars. Never found it again but I have another that I' going to use for assistance should I need it.

Oswald

by Oswald

It's not that difficult, just follow these instructions and you'll do fine. And bartape only costs 6 EUR or something, so it's not that big of a deal should you mess up...

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... n-drop-bar

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Yeah, definitely buy two packs of tape. You're going to learn a lot the first time and if it's jacked up you can redo with fresh tape soon after.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

uraz

by uraz

All you need to know in one video -> Installing Bar Tape - HHRacingGroup
In my opinion this is the most comprehensive tutorial on a subject. Totally recomended.

VTBike

by VTBike

TwiggyTN wrote:Yeah, definitely buy two packs of tape. You're going to learn a lot the first time and if it's jacked up you can redo with fresh tape soon after.

This really depends on the tape you use. I typically used Fizik 2mm lightweight, and you can unwrap a bar, and wrap it completely again with all of the sticky stuff actually staying on the tape. I've actually unwrapped a bar after 2 mo of use to change tape color - but saved the tape because it still looked good. Kept it for 5 mos in my basement, then just used it again. Worked perfectly. Meanwhile, i've also used Deda tape, which was a nightmare when I took it off - left a ridiculous amount of tape residue on my bars that took me almost an hour to get off.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

That video is good and exactly how I do it. I may have even learned from it a long time ago.

identiti66

by identiti66

Well.. I wrapped 'em.
Managed to get one the right way round after the figure 8 and the other one, well, not (and having the Prologo branding all the way through just makes everything grand. Not).
My wrapping around the curve is a little non-symmetrical (comparing left and right) but overall I'm not too unhappy.

Not sure about red tape with red hoods but it didn't look amazing without hoods (mimicking black hoods) either. Perhaps I'll try the white hoods I have knocking about somewhere.

Either way I'll have to get some more tape and re-wrap them (non-symmetrical wrapping and that logo after the figure 8 thing - next time I'll use cheat strips and not do a figure 8). I would remove and re-wrap using this Prologo tape but the fabric 'electricians' tape I finished with is so sticky it tears the bar tape if I try to remove it.. d'oh!.

Just deciding what to try next.. Lizard Skins DSP, Arundel Gecko Grip, Mike Giant Art Tape or Pro Digital Carbon. :?