Anyone ridden the new campagnolo 2015 bora wheels yet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think he's talking about when you're freewheeling. Not bearing noise.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

No freewheeling noise either.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Lot of oil/grease in your pawls then. Maybe too much. Never heard one that was completely silent except once when I packed a neutron free hub way too full with too thick grease just to experiment. Seems to vary but with one set too loud and another silent makes me wonder if things were getting a little sloppy during assembly, especially during the strike and all. Hmmm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Mine were super quiet at first, but slowly got louder with miles.

Quick update, wheels are stellar. The only thing I'm annoyed with is the valve stem spacer that comes with the wheels. The front one broke already, and didn't fit with any of the Conti Race tubes I tried. Back to good ol' electrical tape to keep the stem from bouncing around in there.
Instagram @seanblurr

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed on that valve stem guide. They could have done a better job on that I think. I'm always thinking gotta be careful not to lose that. Mine are tubulars, don't know if it's the same on the clinchers. I've yet to see a set of clincher Boras.

fogman

by fogman

My Bora One tubulars came with some little rubber o-rings and valve nuts so I replaced the valve stem spacers with the o-rings on the tubulars. I kept the spacers in my clinchers. At first I couldn't get the valve stem through the spacer hole without popping the spacer out. Tight tolerance and pops out too easily. I foresee losing them eventually.

Timujin

by Timujin

[quote="Calnago"]Lot of oil/grease in your pawls then. Maybe too much. Never heard one that was completely silent except once when I packed a neutron free hub way too full with too thick grease just to experiment. Seems to vary but with one set too loud and another silent makes me wonder if things were getting a little sloppy during assembly, especially during the strike and all. Hmmm.[/quote

That's what I mean. My nuetrons were silent when I rode them for the first time and slowly getting noisy.

But yes, I was out on them today and most of my group have 50mm, some 58mm and my 35s kept up... Some of the lads have the 50 clinchers and I'm glad I went 35mm, perfect all round wheel. Racing wheel no doubt are the 50mm tubular Bora..

I'm running 23c Vitoria Open Corsa which run around 24mm, for those on clinchers what tyres are you running??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timujin

by Timujin

Calnago wrote:Agreed on that valve stem guide. They could have done a better job on that I think. I'm always thinking gotta be careful not to lose that. Mine are tubulars, don't know if it's the same on the clinchers. I've yet to see a set of clincher Boras.

This a shot of me trying to bit that spacer on a set of latex challenge rubes which have a removable valve hence run slightly thicker... No Chance!

On the vittoria tubes I have no issues..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@timujin: you realize that valve insert needs to be in the rim first, right? You will never get it properly seated trying to push it in after the valve stem is already through the rim. There are a couple lips on the guide that need to catch on the inside of the rim. If they don't, then the valve stem will never go through. Or it will keep pushing that insert out as you try to mount the tire.

dha

by dha

Veloflex valves are too big for that valve insert too. pushed it out when I fitted them

LionelB

by LionelB

On my bora 35 one if the stem insert was bigger than the other making inserting any valve impossible. I just had to remove it.

fogman

by fogman

Timujin wrote:I'm running 23c Vitoria Open Corsa which run around 24mm, for those on clinchers what tyres are you running??

I am running Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather 700 x 25c on my clinchers. They measure 25.5mm wide when pumped to 100psi on my Bora One 35 clinchers.

I am running Vittoria Corsa CX Isogrip 700 x 25c on my tubulars. They measure 26mm wide when pumped to 100psi on my Bora One 50 tubulars.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Had the same issue with the little plastic bit popping out, went back to wrapping some insulation tape around the valve extender instead.

Timujin

by Timujin

Calnago wrote:@timujin: you realize that valve insert needs to be in the rim first, right? You will never get it properly seated trying to push it in after the valve stem is already through the rim. There are a couple lips on the guide that need to catch on the inside of the rim. If they don't, then the valve stem will never go through. Or it will keep pushing that insert out as you try to mount the tire.

Yeh that was for illustration. I got my vittoria tubes through but had to really press on the inserts to push them through

Timujin

by Timujin

fogman wrote:
Timujin wrote:I'm running 23c Vitoria Open Corsa which run around 24mm, for those on clinchers what tyres are you running??

I am running Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather 700 x 25c on my clinchers. They measure 25.5mm wide when pumped to 100psi on my Bora One 35 clinchers.

I am running Vittoria Corsa CX Isogrip 700 x 25c on my tubulars. They measure 26mm wide when pumped to 100psi on my Bora One 50 tubulars.

I need to invest in some measuring calipers.... At this rate I'll have a pro mechanic bedroom

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com