Anyone ridden the new campagnolo 2015 bora wheels yet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

em3

by em3

fogman wrote:Looks like a Campy freehub body is around $100US. I can probably order the Bora One wheels with Shimano freehub from Wiggle and swap out the freehub body myself.

Yes, all modern Campy wheels are Shim/Campy compatible....just change freehub, no dishing requirements needed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

em3

by em3

Calnago wrote:I really like the 24.2mm rim width. Running 25's on the old Boras provided a much more stable ride ...

Thanks for your review. I am curious what you mean in the above? R U saying that 25mm tires are more stable on the older 20mm Bora width compared to the new 24mm width?

Thanks
EM3

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@EM3: Sorry, I can see where that might be confusing. What I was trying to say is that by simply putting a 25mm Arenberg on the old Bora rim, the stability increased a lot (on the old rim), versus using a 23mm tire. So, what I was going to try to figure out is where the added stability comes from most... a wider tire, or a wider rim. I can tell you that the new Bora 35 with the 25mm Arenberg feels rock solid, even under my heft at power. I went for another ride this afternoon on them and am liking them more each time. So so smooth.

I will have a set of the new Ultra 50's within a couple of weeks and was initially going to do a head to head comparison with 23mm tires (since that's what I have on a set of Bora Ultra Twos that I'm using right now. Then I would have a comparison of pretty much everything. What I would be testing is if the new wider rim Bora feels pretty much the same, or more stable, than the older Bora with the same 23mm tires on both sets. I think after all of that I should be able to say whether a wider rim or a wider tire makes the most difference in stability. But for now, I am loving these wheels. They really do take the Bora line to a new level of performance.

I have not ridden the new Boras with 23mm tires on them yet, just dry mounted them to see how they fit the profile.

Have fun!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fogman

by fogman

I am starting to think there should be enough tire clearance with the 24.2 mm wide Bora rims on my Pinarello Dogma 65.1. Are you saying that the wider rim is taking up some of the volume of the 25 mm Veloflex Arenbergs so they actually sit lower on the rim?
My current wheel/tire combo is Shamal Ultra clinchers with 23 mm Conti GP4000S II and I have approximately 5 mm gap between the top of the tire and the crown of the fork and rear wishbone.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

joestralia

by joestralia

Can anyone testify to the Bora's wet braking ability?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@fogman: Keep in mind that I am referring to tubulars, and not clinchers. And what I'm saying is that the new Boras have a seam well (groove) in the middle of the rim bed which the old Boras do not. So, I'm thinking that this "might" allow a teensy bit more room for the tire to sit lower, but not much. The other thing I was hypothesizing in my mind is whether, because of the wider rim bed, is whether a wider (25mm) tubular might not be as "squished" and push upwards as much as it would in the older narrow profile. So far from my measurements, and one set of arenbergs, it seems that I am indeed getting maybe a millimeter or so more of clearance under the fork crown of my C59 or EPQ, which is just adequate enough to not bother me at all. So I am happy.

If you are running clinchers on wider rims, I can't say how it will sit in your particular case. I will say that if you put your current 23mm Conti GP4000S II tires on a wider rim, from my experience you will have less clearance under your fork crown than with your current Shamals. How much, I'm not sure. I've yet to see a new 2015 Bora Clincher. But the super wide Enve 3.4 front rim (clincher) is problematic with 25mm clinchers in some frames. On my C59 for example, a 25mm Conti 4000S II clincher sits so high it will not even fit in the dropouts all the way without hitting the fork crown first.

@joestralia: I promise that the next downpour we have here I will take the new Boras out and give them a thrashing in the rain. Don't expect miracles though. They are carbon, the pads are the same and water is never friendly for braking performance on any wheel. I'm not expecting them to be too much different than the current boras.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fogman

by fogman

So if I can fit a 25mm Conti GP4000S II on my Shamal clincher and it doesn't touch the fork, then I should have enough clearance for Veloflex Arenbergs on the wider 2015 Bora One tubular rim?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Fogman: Yes, I would say you should be fine because I have a 25mm Conti 4000S II on a Neutron clincher and it sits higher than my 25mm tubular Arenbergs on either the previous Bora Ultra Twos or the new Bora Ultras. I presume the Bora Ones share the same rim. Still, the 25mm clincher on the neutron is too tight for my liking. It only gets service on the C50 or other bikes with more clearance than my C59. So, do with that info what you will.
And you describe it as "not touching" the fork. "Not touching" is not exactly the same as "ample clearance".

Lugan

by Lugan

Glad I have a Merckx Team SC with lots of clearance at every key point!

mrgray

by mrgray

hi
i just had a ride on 21 mm tyres on 2015 bora one's 35. very nice. i've never had wheels this fancy before and they feel a real treat. braking fine and thats with some glue from a messy job and fresh pads and braking surface. stopping power not as per my alu rims but i suppose that is to be expected since they are carbon and not broken in yet.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

vorno

by vorno

I have the 2015 Ultra 50mm Tubular in Dark Label. They are amazing. I am running Vittoria SC 25mm tyres. They just roll and roll plus feel very fast and strong. Comfy too. I am 100+kg and their most outstanding feature is cornering. Bomb a corner fast or slow and they just whip around. They make you feel just like you are on rails and the faster the better. Never a feel of looking traction even is some very bad wet conditions we have had lately. They are habit forming. I keep pushing them on more on more corners just like a great pair of snow racing skis. They made my bike (Wilier Zero 7 with Campagnolo Super Record Mechanical) come alive! :D

Dogmatic13

by Dogmatic13

I've finally gotten my 2015 Bora One 50 Clinchers and will pair them onto a C60. Before purchasing the wheel set I dropped Colnago a note and got a reply back saying that the Bora clinchers should clear fine. I know the tubs clear, and I'm hoping the clinchers are ok too.

To be safe though, I may go with my usual Conti GP4Ks II in 23mms first. For the experts there - I suppose using 23mms on a 24mm wide rim is ok right?

mrgray

by mrgray

i used 21 mm on them (although tubs not clinchers) and it was fine although less rubber between wheels and road than i was comfortable with. 23 mm will be great. enjoy them, they are outstanding.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You will be fine with 23's on your clinchers. I am also waiting to see how the Conti 4000S II's pair up with these rims. And you just can't compare rim/tire fits between clinchers and tubulars. Completely different animals. I'd be more inclined to run a 23mm clincher on these rims than a 23mm tubular. The 23mm tubular at its widest point will not end up as wide as the 24.2mm rim width, leaving the rim surface a bit more vulnerable to scrapes etc. On the other hand, the clinchers ultimate profile, unlike the tubular which is held in its casing, will be a function of both the tire size and rim width. It would be easy to try both 25mm and 23mm to test them out for size when you get them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sub7kg

by sub7kg

Dogmatic13 wrote:I've finally gotten my 2015 Bora One 50 Clinchers and will pair them onto a C60. Before purchasing the wheel set I dropped Colnago a note and got a reply back saying that the Bora clinchers should clear fine. I know the tubs clear, and I'm hoping the clinchers are ok too.

To be safe though, I may go with my usual Conti GP4Ks II in 23mms first. For the experts there - I suppose using 23mms on a 24mm wide rim is ok right?

Can you upload some photos? Has any one got the Bora 35 clincher?