Anyone ridden the new campagnolo 2015 bora wheels yet

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I'd worry on a hed stinger or other 25+ wide rim but def not on Boras w 24. In fact it's prob optimal for aero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

The Bora 35 is a C15 rim and as such, following the general rule of ISO bead width x 1.45 -> 2, would be OK with a 23c tyre on it.

However, at the 2016 Technical meeting for Campagnolo branches last week, all the senior mechanics present agreed that a 23c, especially a comparatively narrow 23c, would be best avoided and that the 25c, for which the rim was designed in any case, would be the best choice.

Of course some 23c tyres are wider than others - Michelin might be OK, where Conti might not afford enough protection to the rim, for instance.

It was also reiterated that the red Campagnolo brake blocks must be used on the 3Diamant surfaces. Use of other brake pads will void warranty. We've seen a lot of cases of overheated rims where other pads have been used, on Bora 35 and on Bora Ultra - on the clincher versions, overheating is both a braking issue and, potentially, a tyre retension issue..
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

fogman

by fogman

@graeme_f_k. Thanks for the information. My Bora One 35 clinchers say the rim is ETRTO 17c.
What is Campagnolo's recommendation concerning the use of rim strips in the Boras as a barrier to protect the tube from the direct effects of heat? My Continental tires came with this warning notice:
http://www.conti-online.com/www/downloa ... notice.pdf
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

For further info, I'm using a Veloflex 25 on my Bora One 50 clinchers, and the rim is nearly wider then the tire. I'm going to assume that the Veloflex's run narrower then the Conti's I am used to. Sorry, no actual measurements to confirm what my eye sees. I'd be hesitant to run anything smaller then a 25 on MY15 Bora's though considering the above.
Instagram @seanblurr

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I tend to follow warning label that the manufacture posts on packaging

I have seen some pretty bad blow out photos of veloflex clinchers on carbon rims

seanblurr

by seanblurr

That has been discussed at length on other forums, and the general consensus is that its an old warning for older rims that they haven't taken away yet. Some claim that their Veloflex box doesn't have the warning at all. I suppose if you love the tires, its worth the "risk"..? If there is even a risk..

Here is an email response from Veloflex.it about the issue, "Some models of carbon fiber wheels have a sharp and aggressive edge in the bead seat area, this could lead to the casing cutting of our clinchers.

Not being able to check every wheel on the market, we wrote this warning on our boxes, the responsibility of the use of our clinchers on those rims is on the behalf of the final user".

Teaser shot for y'all...
Instagram @seanblurr

superdfly

by superdfly

Guys:

I apologize that I did not mention in my above post that I am worried about using a 23mm veloflex Tubular (criterium or sprinter) on the new Bora ultra 24mm tubular rim. If you flatten the flat tire on the rim, it is about 28-30 wide, so maybe there is enough protection for the rim in a flat?

Wayne

dha

by dha

@seanblurr wow, that looks fantastic. great bike

havana

by havana

Because of the crappy weather here in the Netherlands, I didn't have the opportunity to take a decent picture yet.

I've done about 1000 km with the wheels now, and so far I'm very satisfied (coming from Reynolds Assault C). Braking in the wet is a lot better than the Reynolds. I've mounted Vredestein Senso (25 mm) tires; no problems with clearance here.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

sawyer

by sawyer

@graeme_f_k

Does the requirement to use red Campagnolo carbon brake pads extend to the 2015 Bora tubulars?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Timujin

by Timujin

Took my 35 ultra clinchers out for the first time today. Felt great. Really great ride. Super smooth, pick up on the hills incredible, when I put some power down on flats was excellent. Must admit, the noise on my neutrons from the rear hub free spinning is much less

fogman

by fogman

I rode my Bora One 35 clinchers for the first time today. Mounted Vredestein Fortezza Senso 700 x 25c tires with butyl tubes. Very nice. Braking is as good as aluminum. They descend so smoothly that I barely had to use my brakes. I will continue to test and push them harder.

Timujin

by Timujin

fogman wrote:I rode my Bora One 35 clinchers for the first time today. Mounted Vredestein Fortezza Senso 700 x 25c tires with butyl tubes. Very nice. Braking is as good as aluminum. They descend so smoothly that I barely had to use my brakes. I will continue to test and push them harder.

Nice Fogman. You notice the noise on the rear hub when you freewheel?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

If you don't like the noise you can always just add a slightly heavier oil to the freewheel pawls, so long as it's not so thick they stick.. Or even a very light dab of superthin grease if you really want it silenced. But I think it's the sweetest sounding freewheel out there. Love it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fogman

by fogman

I do not notice any freehub noise with the USB bearings on the Bora One.
Last edited by fogman on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com