Need wheelset suggestions for my 15' Tarmac S-Works Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

netromsa wrote:I've read that the tarmac disc has a non standard cassette placement, they have moved it inwards to have a shorter wheelbase, read the bikeradar review for more information

I wonder if you could use something like the Token or Edco 11sp cassettes for 10sp bodies with a custom spacer outside. They should get the chain line a little more inboard, though probably not as far as Specialized has with the Rovals.

Benno

by Benno

CBJ - advice definitely appreciated. The thing is I already have a Giant Revolt on 28c Continental 4 seasons that I run at 70psi for sketchy road conditions. The Defy I am keeping as a snappier race(ish) bike. I like the 25c and 90psi combo for this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Benno

by Benno

mnmasotto - maybe you should just stick a regular 135mm wheel in the back and see if you can set up the shifting okay.
My guess is that it would be just fine.

CBJ

by CBJ

Benno wrote:CBJ - advice definitely appreciated. The thing is I already have a Giant Revolt on 28c Continental 4 seasons that I run at 70psi for sketchy road conditions. The Defy I am keeping as a snappier race(ish) bike. I like the 25c and 90psi combo for this.

Ahh makes total sense and I have exactly the same experience with air pressure between the different kind of riding.

964Cup

by 964Cup

Zipp 202 tubs and deal with the cross-chaining issue by not doing it.

Poonjabby

by Poonjabby

I'm pretty sure my 2014 Specialized Secteur Disc has 130mm rear. I could be wrong.

Poon
Poonjabby Rides a Bike on Facebook

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I tried a standard 135mm rear wheel. The 11 tooth sprocket was too close to the rear dropout for my comfort. I have ordered the specialized rear hanger which accommodates the regular 135 mm rear wheel. I am told it works fine. I will report back.

stono38

by stono38

Campy Bora one or Zipp 303! , my hope.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

The Zipp Wheels are a joke! They use the standard carbon rim with the brake tracts still present and they weight a ton! Total band-aid approach to road disc wheels. I do not know about the Campagnolo Bora's. As of today, I think Enve are one of the few carbon rim manufactures who makes a dedicated carbon rim sans carbon brake tracts which actually saves weight over the standard wheel.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

CBJ wrote:
stormur wrote:Continental 4 everyone ! :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist :roll: but u know what I mean :?: :idea:

Hey comedy is not allow on here :D

This is another interesting company

http://www.nextie-bike.com/road/25mm-ci ... s-nxt38c06

but I have never heard of them. I like they have the option of no break track. I will hopefully move to a GT Grade which also runs full dics so I am something along the lines of what Benno is building.

i am using their 23mm wide and 24 mm profile tubular rims since end of 2013

with a decent spokes and a Extralite SP hub set i rode 11000 km in the 2014, 1060 g the wheelset weigth ...anothe 3500 in the 2015.

from 1 month i am using other similar rims but laced to Soul Kozak SP hubs and Alpina Superlight spokes , 1085 g the set.

the Soul Kozak hub has the X-D freewheel body with a 9-38 cassette , 10 speeds and a 44T oval melon Garbaruk narrow wide single ring on front .

my bike is at 5.9 kg .... 8)

15x100mm on the front, 10x135mm on the rear for both wheelset.

upgrading Extralite wheelset with Alpina Superlight spokes, probably i can have a 990 g set.
http://eliflap.it/

Benno

by Benno

Just got my wheels yesterday. They came in at 1199 grams which I am very happy with. Fair Wheel Bikes and Light-Bicycle were both great to deal with.
I'm really happy with how they ride. I thought the compliance difference would be subtle, it's not. They are way smoother and finally my Defy rides like I think it should.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

ashima rotors are garbage
http://eliflap.it/

Benno

by Benno

^ Classy :roll:

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@Benno - nice wheels and suits the bike.

I'm afraid to ask (prob cause I couldn't afford them), but what did the wheelset set you back ?

Benno

by Benno

Thanks
They were (relatively) inexpensive at about $1300 USD assembled and shipped.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com