Need wheelset suggestions for my 15' Tarmac S-Works Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I really like them. Did FWB have any issues using Chinese Rims? Liability issues?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Benno

by Benno

They were really great for taking on the build so readily and walking me through the process with recommending parts ect. They warranty everything but the rims.
Will deal with again.

cwar

by cwar

@Benno - I see you have the Shimano Hydraulic Discs. Any issue running those with a third party rotor? Shimano recommends the Ice-Tech Freeza.

I'm in the same boat. I have Light-Bicycle 24mm rims with Novatec hubs and 6 bold disc mounts. So I cannot run the Freeza rotors without stringing up new hubs.

wingguy

by wingguy

Standard Ice-Tech comes in CL or 6 bolt and according to shimano already runs a lot cooler than a normal rotor.

cwar

by cwar

I have standard Ice-Tech now, but I thought Shimano says to use the Ice-Tech Freeza with their road hydraulic. I could be wrong on this.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Benno wrote:Thanks
They were (relatively) inexpensive at about $1300 USD assembled and shipped.

:shock: Not inexpensive to me, but you can see where the $$ went. My wheelset that I built is 222g heavier and the whole shebang cost less than your hubs 8) , but then it needed to, as I couldn't afford to spend US$1400 (~A$1750).

They do look nice though :thumbup:

Benno

by Benno

Yes my Defy SL 0 was not built with economy in mind ;-)

I don't do a lot of heavy sustained braking on my road bike so didn't feel the need for ice tech pads or rotors. To shed a few grams and also for cosmetics I went with Jagwire pads and Ashima rotors. A combo I have been using successfully for years on my mtb. I find the combo to have great feedback and bite.

Benno

by Benno

Also the only problem I had is that the rear hub disc side spokes were very close to the rear caliper. You could probably fix that by switching to a 160mm rear rotor but I solved it by grinding some material off the caliper.
Likely other calipers have smaller profiles as well.

wingguy

by wingguy

cwar wrote:I have standard Ice-Tech now, but I thought Shimano says to use the Ice-Tech Freeza with their road hydraulic. I could be wrong on this.

No, they don't. The dealer manual for road hydraulic discs only stipulates that discs should be in good condition and no larger than 160mm. It also contains instructions for mounting both centrelock and 6-bolt rotors. See page 14.

si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-BR0004-03-ENG.pdf

MichaelB

by MichaelB

cwar wrote:@Benno - I see you have the Shimano Hydraulic Discs. Any issue running those with a third party rotor? Shimano recommends the Ice-Tech Freeza.

I'm in the same boat. I have Light-Bicycle 24mm rims with Novatec hubs and 6 bold disc mounts. So I cannot run the Freeza rotors without stringing up new hubs.

I'm using Hayes V7 & V5 discs without issue. I'm also using Zee calipers with RS685 levers without issue as well. Shimano would be having conniptions :mrgreen:

cwar

by cwar

wingguy wrote:No, they don't. The dealer manual for road hydraulic discs only stipulates that discs should be in good condition and no larger than 160mm. It also contains instructions for mounting both centrelock and 6-bolt rotors. See page 14.

si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-BR0004-03-ENG.pdf

Thank you! I had not seen the manual, only read reviews. I'm glad the Freeza rotors are not required or stated by Shimano as the only option. I'll stick with my Ice-Tech 160mm 6-Bolt for now when I upgrade to hydraulics.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Benno wrote:Yes my Defy SL 0 was not built with economy in mind ;-)

I don't do a lot of heavy sustained braking on my road bike so didn't feel the need for ice tech pads or rotors. To shed a few grams and also for cosmetics I went with Jagwire pads and Ashima rotors. A combo I have been using successfully for years on my mtb. I find the combo to have great feedback and bite.

So just out of curiosity, why did you go disc brake if you arnt going to be doing any heavy sustained braking. Genuinely curious here, not trying to bash you or anything.

Benno

by Benno

Reasonable question. My best answer is I wanted discs for the same reason I wanted a top of the line bike. To me when I use discs they feel and perform like a premium product. Cable actuated rim brakes feel (and for all the trolls waiting in the bushes this is IMO) cheap.
Rim brakes detract from my cycling experience, disc brakes make it better.
Just as with the performance I get from my carbon frame, or Di2, or carbon wheels.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

hornedfrog wrote:
Benno wrote:Yes my Defy SL 0 was not built with economy in mind ;-)

So just out of curiosity, why did you go disc brake if you arnt going to be doing any heavy sustained braking. Genuinely curious here, not trying to bash you or anything.

I went with disc brakes because they offer better modulation, and superior braking performance when it is wet. There is no delay between squeezing the brake lever and the brakes applying power to the rotors. With carbon rims and cork pads, it's a couple of revolutions before you'll get anything.

consolidated

by consolidated

mnmasotto wrote:I tried a standard 135mm rear wheel. The 11 tooth sprocket was too close to the rear dropout for my comfort. I have ordered the specialized rear hanger which accommodates the regular 135 mm rear wheel. I am told it works fine. I will report back.

mnmasotto, where you able to find a non-Roval wheel solution and drop-out hanger that worked for you?

I'm in a similar situation, I had a crash and need new wheels but would rather try something other than Rovals. Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com