Supersix vs BMC SLR01

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Donic

by Donic

I am looking for a new bike and am right now concidering one of these two:

Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi-Mod
http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16890

BMC SLR01
http://static.culturevelo.com/velos/bmc/2007/highres/2014-SLR01_SramRED.jpg

The price will be almost the same for the finished bikes.

Which one would you choose?

VTBike

by VTBike

Well, based on looks alone, the BMC is the winner in my book! I own a 2011 Supersix, and a BMC carbon mtnbike frame (fourstroke sl01)... So really, it's nothing like what your asking about! That being said, i'm super interested to hear from anyone that has ridden both of these road frames. I'm gearing up for a new road frame next year, and am leaning heavily towards to SS Evo. My SS is just plain awesome, and everything I've read about the EVO is that it's even better. Never seen one compared against BMC though. One piece of feedback i'll give though is that BMC customer service is absolutely terrible. Many shops here in the US don't carry BMC anymore because the company is awful to deal with.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

I can blame BMC for this and that, but NOT for service quality. This is simply stunning. Warranty replacement ( based on emails and sent photos ) took less than 48h :thumbup: NOS frameset has been replaced by new and most expensive model… All process ( from claim to receive new frame ) took below 10 days . Most of that time took DHL delay :twisted:

I would choose Cannondale. Finishing quality ( paint, tolerances ) is just incomparable . And I already had 2 BMC's :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

cl9k24la

by cl9k24la

I've ridden both bikes and now currently ride a super six evo. Both are excellent machines, but I prefer the Evo becuase the geometry suits me better. Overall, the Evo is also stiffer and transfers power better. I believe the BMC's TCC technology has a lot to do with it.....doesn't feel as "snappy" as the EVO.

Donic

by Donic

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

VTBike

by VTBike

stormur wrote:I can blame BMC for this and that, but NOT for service quality. This is simply stunning. Warranty replacement ( based on emails and sent photos ) took less than 48h :thumbup: NOS frameset has been replaced by new and most expensive model… All process ( from claim to receive new frame ) took below 10 days . Most of that time took DHL delay :twisted:
:mrgreen:

That's fantastic to hear. I needed a new derailleur hanger, and the one on my frame is a specific spec that only comes from BMC. It took literally 3 months. I went to 2 local shops that are BMC dealers, both of which said they hate dealing with BMC. One of them ordered it for me, but I didn't hear back. So I called competitive cyclist, which is where I bought the frame - they ordered it, and it took 2 months. They too told me "be ready for a wait, BMC is awful." So i missed the entire summer on my MTB (well, I rode with a bunch of ghost shifting). As usual, diff shops probably have different relationships.. Or maybe BMC got their act together? This was in 2012 for me.

stormur

by stormur

Sorry, but blame yourself . ONE email to BMC in SUI would solve issue. Just one. In EU you have "gazillion" of stores selling BMC - email to them with part number / order number would solve issue as well. 1 Phonecall to US distributor as above. They can order and deliver even "custom" stuff.

You choose path which shout from beginning "DON'T" and expected what ?

I am not fanboy of this brand, but in this case you failed…

Anytime i need specific info / part I had answer from BMC within 48h. email or phonecall ( yes, they called to Finland ! ) . Same is with DT Swiss ( like brand , but my feelings are rather moderate ) - seems kind of standard for Suisse companies.

And wait… you bought MTB with ONE ( only ONE ? ) derailleur hanger ???? Really ? Well…
Mark Twain

VTBike

by VTBike

Dude, your a bit of a Jerk. Grow up.

killerrabbit

by killerrabbit

Ordered a hangar for an SLR02. Took less than a week to receive. No issues there.

Illuminate

by Illuminate

VTBike wrote:Dude, your a bit of a Jerk. Grow up.

Funny - I thought exactly the same thing. :)

VTBike

by VTBike

killerrabbit wrote:Ordered a hangar for an SLR02. Took less than a week to receive. No issues there.

That's great to hear. I have the SLR01, which apparently has a different hanger than any of their other bikes. The major hanger manufacturers online (which stock what I thought was every hanger known to man, and can get it to you in about a day -- which is why I never stressed about buying a bike with no additional hangers, btw) indicate they have a hanger for the SLR01, but when received, it was quite different than the one on my bike, and didn't fit flush.

To be quite clear and honest, I have no idea why it took so long to get. My feedback on BMC customer service is only related from a number of well respected shops, including Competitive Cyclist. To be further clear, I'm a road biker at heart these days - and while having no MTB for the summer was a slight bummer, I was just too busy with work and the little time I had to road bike, to put much more effort into it. I'm not sure what's up with the US reps, the bad rap that they got from multiple shops had to come from somewhere. Again, just passing this on. It was 3 years ago. Awesome if it's different now.

Meanwhile, I think BMC's are beautiful, well made bikes. If the geometry suited, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Now, hopefully this thread can get back on track. I think the OP (and myself) would love to hear from someone who has ridden both!

bigpab

by bigpab

Donic wrote:I am looking for a new bike and am right now concidering one of these two:

Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi-Mod
http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=16890

BMC SLR01
http://static.culturevelo.com/velos/bmc/2007/highres/2014-SLR01_SramRED.jpg

The price will be almost the same for the finished bikes.

Which one would you choose?

which bike did you settle for?
decided yet?

stormur

by stormur

Maybe I am, but then how to name someone who can't manage problem easy to solve by teenager within 1 day ? :mrgreen:

Truth hurts :idea:
Mark Twain

numbers505

by numbers505

stormur wrote:

Maybe I am, but then how to name someone who can't manage problem easy to solve by teenager within 1 day ? :mrgreen:

Truth hurts :idea:

really no need for that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com