2015 Specialized Tarmac Pro to 15 Prince, R3, or possibly R5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Hello helpful WW forums. I currently have a 2015 Tarmac Pro. It is a really great bike and I can't find a thing wrong with it, however for some reason I really want a Pinarello Prince, R3 or R5. Would I be making a mistake in going with an R3? Is the R5 that much better it is worth almost 3,000 USD more? R5 is pretty pricey as well so I am more interested in the Tarmac, R3 and or Prince comparison.

Does anyone have some real world experience on at least two of these three bikes? Thanks for the input!

Mods, feel free to move if this is better in Cycle Chat. Thanks!
Last edited by spinwax on Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stripes

by stripes

I recently test rode a 2015 Tarmac and an R3. The R3 was very comfortable (coming from a CAAD9) but the Tarmac didn't impress me much. I'd pick an R3 over the Tarmac but then again I'd want to test ride an S-Works before making that decision. From what I've heard, the R5 is stiffer than the R3 and similar to the Tarmac. Check out this thread on the R5 vs S-Works Tarmac:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=128259

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Thanks for the reply. I have ridden both the Tarmac Pro (which I own) and the S-Works version. I couldn't tell the difference. I am however only about 71kg so maybe someone with a little more weight could feel the difference. I have always been a second tier bike guy. Meaning, I would love the top of the line, but I have always been satisfied with the lower end models and they always fit my budget better even getting them at a pro deal or such.

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I will throw the 2015 BMC SLR02 in the mix as well.