low profile topcap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fifarafa

by fifarafa

Hi all,

I'm looking for low profile topcap - distance between top of the stem and expander is only 3mm.
Has anyone seen that?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Stick a spacer on top of the stem to increase the distance
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

VTBike

by VTBike

Or cut the steerer tube a few MM shorter and lower the expander. No need to get a new topcap. That being said, my 'parts of passion' topcap is much lower profile than a stock topcap. Check Fairwheelbikes.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

ok I know that I have to add 5mm spacer above stem:)... but I don't like much more. I have this expander:
http://www.pro-bikegear.com/en-gb/catal ... ander-long
and soul kozak top cap. Unfortunatelly kozak and even pro are too high - I'd have to add 10 mm spacer...

dumptruk

by dumptruk

You could go exotic and get yourself a Carbon Ti or Tune topcap. Super WW and very thin. If you're looking for something less wild, the topcaps that come on FSA Orbit headsets are rather flat. I have the same issue (not sure of the clearance though), and the flat top cap gives me more room to cinch a bolt down without the cap bottoming out against my expander.

KarlC

by KarlC

Pretty sure you can get thin carbon top caps on ebay for cheep.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

kode54

by kode54

i found that the absolute black top cap to be very low profile. i have a few on my bikes...although if you sweat a lot, it pools up into the top caps cavity.

http://www.absoluteblack.cc/top-cap.html
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

The Absolute Black ones are beautiful although according to their website they are not suitable for use with expander plugs only star nuts

kode54

by kode54

burglarboycie wrote:The Absolute Black ones are beautiful although according to their website they are not suitable for use with expander plugs only star nuts

not sure if that's true. i'm using mine with Extralite expander plugs.

what i do is, use another top cap where i can properly torque it...then i simply replace that one with the absolute one after i clamp the stem to the steerer tube.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

kode54 wrote:
burglarboycie wrote:The Absolute Black ones are beautiful although according to their website they are not suitable for use with expander plugs only star nuts

not sure if that's true. i'm using mine with Extralite expander plugs.

what i do is, use another top cap where i can properly torque it...then i simply replace that one with the absolute one after i clamp the stem to the steerer tube.

That's what I would do too, I just happened to notice that statement on their website.

tinozee

by tinozee

I have an absolute black one and it bottoms out way before sitting flush with the stem. I think you need to use a short plug with those, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the plug when you have to put it in so low. It seems those are originally designed to be used with a star nut/metal steerer MTB setup.

Edit - oh weird, as stated above they mention it on the site now. Must have added that after getting tons of disappointed roadie emails.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

+1 for the Parts Of Passion. Thinnest & lightest I've ever seen. Problem is finding one.

Other carbon flat caps like Fiberlyte and the chinese ones aren't finished as well, and to me don't quite sit right on the spacer or stem.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Another happy roadie using AB top cup with extralite and carbon steerer.
And what is the difference between extralite like expander and star nut in relation to AB top cup use?

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

The tune one is only 4-5g for cap and bolt. The cap has a nice weave and low profile cap and bolt. Nice finish however it doesn't sit perfectly on my Rigid stem.

fifarafa

by fifarafa

I need Ud carbon or alu.
I found carbon ti x-cap, but 3k and only 2Nm as Fibre-Lyte, Tiso a-head cap, PoP but carbo isn't available...
cool kustomcaps sugar skull:)
and good news Veloflyte top cap is comming back...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com