Bottle Mounts and SMP Carbon Saddle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

identiti66

by identiti66

I was given an SMP full carbon saddle a while back and I wanted rear mounted bottle(s).

A Minoura one arrived today but it's not going to fit. According to some googling only an X-Labs SMP specific one will fit but at £70+ that's really not an option.

I don't really like reaching down into the frame for a bottle.

Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dumptruk

by dumptruk

Are you doing it for aero gains or keeping the triangle clean? If it's an ergonomics thing, it's by far harder to reach behind you to grab a bottle. Just FYI.

This is a problem solved by a lot of triathletes.

http://university.tri-sports.com/2011/0 ... n-systems/

I use the Hydrotail in the summer. In the winter, I just ziptie a bottle cage at an angle to the rear of my seat. Lightweight, aero and cheap :)
Alternatively, there are rear bottle cage holders that attach to a cylindrical seatpost, if your saddle rails are the cause of the issue

identiti66

by identiti66

These are my reasons, in order, for trying rear-mounted bottles out...
There is some trauma in my left arm that means it's weaker - I can't reach down and grab a bottle with my left anyway but reaching down into the frame with my right means more weight on my left and some inevitable instability.

I'd like the triangle to look cleaner.

Bottles at the back are more aero (actually this is probably least important - I'm not that fit and it's an Alloy Synapse, not an aggressive position balls out racing machine where I suspect aero might matter more)

The rails on this saddle are really odd, not sure many, if any, of those would work out of the box. And, aesthetically, I don't like seatpost mounts. It's bad enough having to velcro a strap round it for a small saddle pack..

I've just enquired about a small piece of nylon that I'm thinking I might be able to drill a couple of holes in, file out a couple of grooves for the rails and use that as the mounting plate for the double Minoura mount. A rethink on 1 litre bottles might be in order to prevent bumpy road ejection. 8)

DMF

by DMF

It sounds counterintuitive but empty bottles usually eject easier than filled ones, and bottles positioned with the cap facing rearwards rather than upwards are actually less likely to eject. This is due to the force applied to the bottle actually comes pretty much from straight underneath, and bottles rarely actually "eject", they tend to gradually work their way up in a couple of steps and then launch.

So a filled 1000ml bottle mounted laying almost flat on its side, is the least likely configuration to launch. Also, you NEED a bottle cage fit for the job. I highly recommend the new Elite cages which are totally rubberized plastic, or Specialized Rib Cage in plastic (the carbon ones have way less grip), and a bottle that really matches the cage... I've found Specialized bottles are pretty much like glued into both the rubberized Elite and the Rib Cage.

As you're new to this rear mounted bottle game, I'll say it once more. Do NOT underestimate the need for a secure bottle/cage interface ;)

identiti66

by identiti66

Thanks chap..

I need to rethink my rear bottle plans. I have 2 carbon cages and the minoura mounts them vertically.

Fortunately I've only invested about £4 thus far..