Parlee Z5 SLi Build Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickd01

by nickd01

I've managed to find a Z5 SLi in my size, at a good price and I now need to build it to a relatively tight budget. So, I was going to transfer over my Dura Ace 7900 10sp mechanical groupset and then just add the other components.

The shop has recommended:
- Deda Elementi Superleggero kit for bars / stem / post
- Fizik Arione R3 Braided saddle
- Lizard Skins bar tape

I think I'm going to put on the Extralite QRC2 cranks & chain-rings otherwise everything else is standard DA.

Now, the Deda kit looks nice but is it's quite pricey so am I better off looking at some more niche brands or is this a good setup? I do quite like keeping the same brand so logos match e.t.c. It'll need new cables too - so I was going with a generic set of Jagwire cables.

I'd like it to be as light as it can be for the money, I'm a 70kg rider - not aggressive. Are there any other little tweaks I can make to drop a few grams up-front?

What about chain, seat-post clamp?

Thanks all

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I just finished a similar project, to build up an SWorks Allez as affordably as I could. I ended up finding sale prices for a lot of SRAM Red / Force components (Red cranks for example, but Force callipers and derailleurs), and plumped for 3T finishing kit. Arx team II stealth stem (120g) and Ergonova team bars (200g), but found the best value for money seatpost at Condor cycles bizarrely - 155g carbon in-line post for £80. It's stealthy and so doesn't look mis-matched.

Overall build came in at 6.5kg (with Mavic Ksyrium slrs) which for the price I paid was amazing. You'll do better with a Parlee though - they're spectacular frames.
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickd01

by nickd01

Most of my kit is coming off about a 5yr old Condor Leggero - I think I have the same seat post on it.

It's a great bike, but always lusted after a Parlee so trying to make it happen!

audiojan

by audiojan

Also look into ENVE for stem, handlebars and seat post. The matte black matches the frame perfectly. So does the Arundel matte black bottle cages.

I built my wife's Z5SLi with MCFK seat post, Zipp stem and 3T Ergonova Ltd handle bars. That's and XS, so getting it under 13lbs with box rims and a PowerTap wasn't that difficult...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

llhh

by llhh

audiojan wrote:Also look into ENVE for stem, handlebars and seat post. The matte black matches the frame perfectly. So does the Arundel matte black bottle cages.

Not exctly "affordable", are they? Although, having the exact same setup on my Z1, I definitely recommend!
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

kode54

by kode54

i'm not sure the DA7900 will work on the SLi. the 'i' is for electronic...and you won't have the derailleur paths for mechanical wires. you'll have to go Di2...maybe Ultegra if you're in a tight budget. as far as other components...see if you can find a few on the bay.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

nickd01

by nickd01

kode54 wrote:i'm not sure the DA7900 will work on the SLi. the 'i' is for electronic...and you won't have the derailleur paths for mechanical wires. you'll have to go Di2...maybe Ultegra if you're in a tight budget. as far as other components...see if you can find a few on the bay.

I did realise it was designed for electronic but was under the impression mechanical could fit too - I'll check with the shop. I could go Ultegra electric if needed; I was just going to wait until I could afford Di2 but didn't want to miss out on the frame as it's on sale.

I don't tend to find many nice parts on UK eBay - but I'll keep looking just in-case.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I'm not sure that they're all electronic-only. I have a pal with one set up with SR mechanical. Maybe there are variations.
:noidea:
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

audiojan

by audiojan

Didn't that change for model year 2014? I know the '13s only worked with electronic
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

eric

by eric

If you are on a budget, build it yourself. Then you can curate each part individually, and save on shop labor costs.

Sometimes there are good parts cheap, for example Kalloy stems. I've also had good results with some cheap Ebay carbon seat posts.
The Kalloy logos come off with acetone leaving a nice black paint job.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Email Fairwheel and get the other kit in Extralight too...

djconnel

by djconnel

What's the frame weigh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

greentimgreen wrote:I'm not sure that they're all electronic-only. I have a pal with one set up with SR mechanical. Maybe there are variations.
:noidea:

one year, they came out with an ELECTRIC ONLY SLi. that's the one that i have currently that has Di2 on it. no mechanical tabs for derailleur cables...only brake bosses.
i like how clean it is with no extra holes or bosses...but again, you're limited to using electronic shifters. i also have a mechanical Z5 SL as well for winter. no electronic holes. the newer or rather last Z5 SLi Parlee built had provisions for mechanical and electronic...before they dropped the Z5 SL for the Altum.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc