LIGHTWEIGHT wheelset owners, can U ever come back or can U?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

My LW Meilensteins (not Weiss) weigh 1210g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattjevans

by mattjevans

ouch, I'm rebuilding my el-cheapo Planet X rims into a wheelset that weighs not much more than that

kfreytag

by kfreytag

I *hate* this stretch of road. The damn City of Oakland just keeps painting white lines around potholes as the road falls apart. If they miss one (and it's in the shade), pinch flat or (worse) destroyed wheel.

Street View of Wheel Eater

This stretch of road has eaten two Lightweight Gen III front wheels, requiring a trip back to Germany for repair / replacement. ($200 shipping each time).

Yesterday, it ate a Vittoria SC tubular with < 100 miles on it, but it couldn't touch the ENVE to which it was glued. A Lightweight would be on its way back to Germany. Again. Just sayin'.

Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

Delorre

by Delorre

kfreytag wrote:I *hate* this stretch of road. The damn City of Oakland just keeps painting white lines around potholes as the road falls apart. If they miss one (and it's in the shade), pinch flat or (worse) destroyed wheel.

Street View of Wheel Eater

This stretch of road has eaten two Lightweight Gen III front wheels, requiring a trip back to Germany for repair / replacement. ($200 shipping each time).

Slight off topic, but if our Belgian roads were only half that good, we would be in heaven, really!! I suppose you Californian cyclist don't have the habit riding on very badly putholed and cracked roads. LW users over here don't have any issues, OK ,some flats, as with every tire/ tube, due to lot af small stones etc, but if you have that habit of those roads, I think you ride in a different manner, avoiding the worst damage :wink: Not saying you are a bad cyclist off course!

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Delorre wrote:Not saying you are a bad cyclist off course!
:wink:

No, no, no. Yes.
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

mattr

by mattr

Delorre wrote:
kfreytag wrote:I *hate* this stretch of road.

Slight off topic, but if our Belgian roads were only half that good, we would be in heaven, really!!
I'd have to agree, most of the areas I've lived in over the last 25 years (all over the UK and now Scandinavia) have roads that bad, if not worse. Some are even major arterial routes/dual carriage ways, not small side roads.
And white lines? Wow, you must have a considerate roads department. Our lot just shrug and ignore until someone finds budget to chip seal the whole thing badly. :?

tinozee

by tinozee

Omg dude come to New England, you will think your home roads are like brand new. I get your point though about the fragility and cost.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

2old4this wrote:
Delorre wrote:
bruno2000 wrote:I'm selling met MLW Meilensteins clinchers and got me the Bora Ultra 35 clincher.
Weightdifference on my scal is only 50 grams, better braking and Aero on the Bora's.

How can that be? LW clincher is supposed to be around 1200g, Bora Ultra 35 clincher is more like 1350. :?:

Actually they should be around 1100 gr, right?

Indeed my mistake.
The CA Bora Ulte 35 clincher I weighted were 1320gr.
Mielentein clincher 20/20 should be at least 1200gr.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

mattjevans wrote:ouch, I'm rebuilding my el-cheapo Planet X rims into a wheelset that weighs not much more than that

Ok that's possible but do not forget the extreme good stifness values of a LW Meilenstein.

micky

by micky

Last winter I've got chance to get my hands on a pair of used LW and been able to use them in a few races now.
It's a 20/20 spokes and what impressed me the most is the stiffness which is perhps too much in my opinion.

sawyer

by sawyer

kgt wrote:Sure, but you can still arrive to certain conclusions... if you want to.
A conclusion is that it performs better in comparison to many other low profile wheels with steel or alu spokes.

Hmm...

You have to remember that competitors now have improved. Think for example of the Bora 35, which has a fat rim with a smooth rim/tyre transition, something that has been shown to give mid-depth rims as good aero performance, and better handling, than narrow deep rims.

So to interpolate the old data, one might expect Bora 35s to offer similar aero performance to the old 50s, which would put them about 5W ahead of LWs.

All that said, 5W at 50km/h is not a difference ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

bruno2000

by bruno2000

sawyer wrote:
kgt wrote:Sure, but you can still arrive to certain conclusions... if you want to.
A conclusion is that it performs better in comparison to many other low profile wheels with steel or alu spokes.

Hmm...

You have to remember that competitors now have improved. Think for example of the Bora 35, which has a fat rim with a smooth rim/tyre transition, something that has been shown to give mid-depth rims as good aero performance, and better handling, than narrow deep rims.

So to interpolate the old data, one might expect Bora 35s to offer similar aero performance to the old 50s, which would put them about 5W ahead of LWs.

That's possible...but who is riding 50km/h all the time?
even when I rid elocal races, we do only 45 max I think, maybe sprinting at 50.
And while just riding for fun I don't even reach 30km/h average.

sawyer

by sawyer

bruno2000 wrote:
sawyer wrote:

Hmm...

That's possible...but who is riding 50km/h all the time?
even when I rid elocal races, we do only 45 max I think, maybe sprinting at 50.
And while just riding for fun I don't even reach 30km/h average.

Hi - If you look across the aero data from sources such as Tour you can see that at 40km/h the Ventoux would be giving away 3-4 watts versus a wider 30mm ish rim ... it's not a huge amount I agree ... but worth having all the same ... and you only really get a material difference at that speed with very deep wheels
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

There are more aero wheels of course but the myth that LWs suck in terms of aerodynamics is simply not true. On the contrary. That's my point.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zuntopia

by zuntopia

I'm not using LIGHTWEIGHT, but it is my dream wheelset.