LIGHTWEIGHT wheelset owners, can U ever come back or can U?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cedced74

by cedced74

And it IS a dream on riding...

awjpca

by awjpca

LW is the Porsche 918, Enve is the 911, and open moulds are the 350z.

What wouldn't I do for some LWs? I agree with zuntopia - definitely the dream wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

After I finished the Wuling Cup Taiwan, Aug 15 this year, I was forced to ride back to hotel in Puli Town, then I found my front Obermayer Schwarz become not smooth, I knew there is water everywhere.

When I back to Hong Kong, the CS bearings were dead, then I contact Carbonsport.

I shiped the front wheel out on Sep 09 and received it on Oct 02, that's 17 days inside Carbonsport factory, excellent service.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

awjpca wrote:LW is the Porsche 918, Enve is the 911, and open moulds are the 350z.

Yet when buying wheels, the 918, 911 and 350z are all sold with the exact same engine.

Multebear

by Multebear

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
Yet when buying wheels, the 918, 911 and 350z are all sold with the exact same engine.

So true, well said (written).

awjpca

by awjpca

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
awjpca wrote:LW is the Porsche 918, Enve is the 911, and open moulds are the 350z.

Very well put!

boysa

by boysa

+1K!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

soberhawk

by soberhawk

I am also wondering if there is some problem with the rim on the light weight carbon wheel clincher.
If anyone knows, please let me know!

2old4this

by 2old4this

kgt wrote:There are more aero wheels of course but the myth that LWs suck in terms of aerodynamics is simply not true. On the contrary. That's my point.

I wouldn't say they suck, and given the fact that I have 3.5 pairs (long story about my son walking on a front ventoux) it is fair to say I like them...

Last weekend I was riding the standard obermayers and thinking how much I like them (seriously they ride really beautifully.) On a stretch of 3/400 yard straight down hill, got hit with a little side wind, while I was going ~38-40 mph. It lasted only a few seconds but it was scary.

I love them but I don't think they handle crosswinds well.

mrgray

by mrgray

yeah i had my meilensteins out the other day and i really loved it. they look incredible and i had the light rubber on and man, snappy fast ride, felt great. but i still remember a couple of bad moments of cross wind from the past and i wouldn't be so kind as simply to say "scary". and what gets me is i am heavy (90 kg). god help a lighter person.

i presume it is the same with all deeper profile wheels though?
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mrgray wrote:yeah i had my meilensteins out the other day and i really loved it. they look incredible and i had the light rubber on and man, snappy fast ride, felt great. but i still remember a couple of bad moments of cross wind from the past and i wouldn't be so kind as simply to say "scary". and what gets me is i am heavy (90 kg). god help a lighter person.

i presume it is the same with all deeper profile wheels though?

I don't think so!
But, you should try it yourself if you can. I have had wheelsets with narrow width rims (19.5-20.8mm external width) and V-profile and now wider rims (26-28mm over brake track) and blunter toroidal rims.
I swear that the wider rim and blunt profile give more stability (both in crosswinds and in general).
I sold my CCU just to buy a deeper and wider set. In my opinion, the new set which is very wide and deep is more stabile no matter what.
It does not matter what tire width you use. The wider rims are better. It is sublime at the start, but if you would ride two sets back and forth you would notice this.

I rode my Stream 38 several weeks and swapped back to CCU. I realized i did not like what i got back to with CCU.
I decided to sell them and invest in what i found the widest rim and also deep enough to be considered a true aero wheelset for a road bike.

If you talk stability and comfort, i like the wider rims and standard spokes better.
(my sets are tubular versions)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, there is a huge difference in stability between narrow rims such as LWs and wider efforts such as Zipps
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

nismosr

by nismosr

LW have a set rider weight limit with the bike, was wondering what are the weights of the LW owners?
anyone here weight 200lbs without bike and rides them regularly ?
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

lippythelion

by lippythelion

These recent posts are pure gold. I was so close to buying LW's last winter but decided to wait for something new from them. I've been riding my Bora Ultra 80 as much as possible over the last few weeks before the bad weather arrives. They were surprisingly good in the strong winds over the North Yorkshire Moors on Thursday. Not bad for a wheel that probably saw little, if any, wind tunnel time during development.

mrgray

by mrgray

im 90 kg (198 lb) and ride them all the time, both gipf and meils. no problems with that. they are actually incredibly robust i think.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com