LIGHTWEIGHT wheelset owners, can U ever come back or can U?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Liggero

by Liggero

Harmitc wrote:
Liggero wrote:
mattr wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:Not many of their road wheels spotted in the peloton in recent years.
of course not, pros are interested in fastest, which as we all know isn't the same as lightest. So why use a wheel that potentially isn't as fast as something your sponsor might provide, and get in trouble for doing it?
You'd have to be pretty thick to do that.

No, definitely no.

A few years ago, quite recently, some riders did use out of sponsorship material. Nowadays, it never ever happens. Sponsors don't allow it anymore. never. that is why, it is not because lightweight wheels are not faster than the rest. in fact, aero is overstated, not just for us, who ride an average of 25km/h, but also for pro riders who do 45km/h average; LW wheels accelerate so much better after every braking, and that makes you faster than aero. but they are not alowed to use them, that is why...

The level of this forum has reduced increasingly. I used to hear and listen, now i have to come and explain....

I read fairly recently in a UK article that the rear LW disc is being used by a few riders even though the team runs another manufacturers wheels. The disc is much easier to "hide" and rebrand. The std LW wheel is very different and easily visible so totally understand why it wouldn't happen. But it did in the past and was extensively documented by the press.

I think this thread is going nowhere now? At this level, I think the wheels are probably better than the rider. Enjoy whatever you have or want.[emoji106]

true, the rear disc wheel has been used in recent time trials and in a few of the hour record bikes. But you can't see them in regular stages in the pro tour teams, not as they used to use them. Sponsors are putting more pressure these days in which the internet can present this sponsor-incorrect issues.
Happy Trails !!!

bruno2000

by bruno2000

To spice up the discussion I'm in doubt...keeping my 2015 Mavic R-Sys SLR wheels or getting the Meilenstein clinchers.
Please no talking about the bad construction and bad aerodynamics of the R-Sys. I've ridden the 2014 version to hell and back in the French alps during last year Tour Du Mont Blanc and I loved them all the way.

Second opinio, did you all see Kristoff fo Katusha using the Mavic CCU in all classics.
How would a his wheels look like a classic season?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stang1

by stang1

So am I supposed to look foward to these? :?

even tinypic captcha showed disapproval..

captcha : Tissue Box

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Liggero wrote:.

The level of this forum has reduced increasingly. I used to hear and listen, now i have to come and explain....

Now you are just the wise old man.....you used to be the member you are now complaining about. ;)

mattr

by mattr

bikeridah

by bikeridah

I recently sold my LWs due to lack of use. 2 primary reasons, much prefer my wider Enve clinches and general nervousness about flatting on tubulars.

solarider

by solarider

Fascinating................

It is the middle of the night and I am doing the night shift with our newborn baby. Maybe I am feeling grouchy, but so what?

bikeridah

by bikeridah

Ack, did not mean to start a new thread, was supposed to be a reply to an existing one.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131139

mattjevans

by mattjevans

solarider wrote:Fascinating................

It is the middle of the night and I am doing the night shift with our newborn baby. Maybe I am feeling grouchy, but so what?

I hear you and have been there, but be fair this is a forum for discussing lightweight bike parts!

superdfly

by superdfly

I currently ride Campagnolo Hyperons (on a Seven Odonata) , Enve 1.25 with Tune hubs (on a Parlee Z5SLi) and Lightweight Obermayers, Gen4 (on a Calfee Dragonfly) (all tubular). I have swapped wheels between bikes, and my opinion is that nothing feels as wonderful to ride as the Obermayers. No matter what bike they are on, they change the character; faster climbing, faster acceleration, faster descending; just feel great due to high lateral stiffness and lightweight (940 grams/set). I will continue to ride the other wheels (particularly like the Hyperons) and I have on order a set of Skyliners from Tune (840 grams/set), but in the end I am pretty certain to buy another set of Lightweights. I ride them everywhere on the bad roads of southern California; hit massive potholes with no issues. The only problems with them for me were: (1) Lightweight brakes pads are grabby and noisy (but powerful), and (2) a bit of wind steer in crosswinds above about 15-20 mph . Problem (1) is completely solved by Koolstop Dura2 pads. Problem (2) is not a serious problem in my view, but a consideration if you live in Iceland.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I've rode my LW Meilenstein 2015 for the firts time last weekend during the 240km's of the Gran Fondo version of the Amstel.
I totaly like the wheels. They are the best you can get except in crosswinds and if you hit a serious pothole comfort is zero and your hands hurt for 15 minutes...

But be honest...nobody will tell you they paid 4000€ for a set of wheels they don't like.
I'm working at the cycling industry in Belgium and it's like when you talk to people who have bought a new bike and paid 5000€ for that bike. Nobody will tell you they don't like the 'thing' they have paid 5000€ for.

mattr

by mattr

I bought a £1000 frame/£3000 bike (15 years ago) and it was shit. I told everyone it was shit. Then eBayed the frame for more than I paid for it.

:)

Harmitc

by Harmitc

mattr wrote:I bought a £1000 frame/£3000 bike (15 years ago) and it was shit. I told everyone it was shit. Then eBayed the frame for more than I paid for it.

:)

What was it?[emoji1]

toiyuet

by toiyuet

I've rode my 2 pair of Schwarz on the longest climbing route in Hong Kong.
I can tell you I don't like my Gipfelsturm because its performance cannot match that of DA 9000 C24CL.
BUT the Obermayer is much better than Gipfelsturm on climbing / all-around except decending on very windy day.

Investing in such a "pure climbing wheel" is a waste of money.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Harmitc wrote:What was it?[emoji1]

Specialized.