LIGHTWEIGHT wheelset owners, can U ever come back or can U?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattr

by mattr

Yeah, that's the chap who recommends 10 bar in every tub. Cos it's faster. Apparently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I know exactly who he is. And exactly what he's done.

Doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about ;)

mrgray

by mrgray

washing machine post did a good review ages ago. noted how much fun they were, how bling they were, but also reported on a near death experience with side wind where you come out of a lee. there is no doubt they are cool wheels. i really enjoyed owning them. unfortunately though i'm not sure they make you any faster.

http://www.thewashingmachinepost.net/
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

ianc

by ianc

mattr wrote:Yeah, that's the chap who recommends 10 bar in every tub. Cos it's faster. Apparently.

And where exactly did you read that? I'm pretty sure you're wrong! ;-)

kgt

by kgt

mrgray wrote:washing machine post did a good review ages ago. noted how much fun they were, how bling they were, but also reported on a near death experience with side wind where you come out of a lee. /

"near death experience"... please...
Many, many riders use LWs without any issues at all.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

i have Obies and let them out in months of winds here (aug-nov). I suffer a lot with them, even without climbs in my city. the fact that send to germany for repair if anything happen increase my fear. But i have 47-48kg with sub 6kg bike. For all that, i dont ride with confidence... so i ride slow with fast wheels. [emoji16]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

ianc wrote:And where exactly did you read that? I'm pretty sure you're wrong! ;-)
Retrobike. So no, I'm not wrong.

For ultimate precision the comment was.
Nob wrote:good tubs perform well with around 135-145psi in

ianc

by ianc

mattr wrote:
ianc wrote:And where exactly did you read that? I'm pretty sure you're wrong! ;-)
Retrobike. So no, I'm not wrong.

For ultimate precision the comment was.
Nob wrote:good tubs perform well with around 135-145psi in

Aha! Well you ARE wrong good Sir as I know for sure that Nob and Mr Cammish are not one and the same person. Mr Cammish very rarely ever pumped any of his tubs over 130 psi ... mostly 120 ... and even then depending on conditions and tubs being used. Mr Cammish is obviously more clever than you think ;-)

mattr

by mattr

Ah, I assumed they were. Fair enough.

2old4this

by 2old4this

kgt wrote:
mrgray wrote:washing machine post did a good review ages ago. noted how much fun they were, how bling they were, but also reported on a near death experience with side wind where you come out of a lee. /

"near death experience"... please...
Many, many riders use LWs without any issues at all.

Some of our experience seems to be a little different with crosswinds... However, that issue I easily solvable, I think. Simply switch to Gipfelsturm (or something similar with a low profile) in the front. Unfortunately, that takes away some of the blink factor...

mrgray

by mrgray

near death experience is overplaying it to be sure. that said it did scare me to death (i'm not brave).

yes 2old4this, based on your previous advice this is exactly what i did, went gip on front. then, i went gip on rear too. gips/ventouxs have their own visual appeal i think and are all the wheel i need. the meils have gone.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

ak47

by ak47

I got my first set of carbon high profile wheels this year and they are a used set of gen II Lightweights converted to 11 speed. I was a bit worried as I weight only 59 kgs and I live in a windy area and I read a lot about how scary these wheels can be when riding in strong wind. Wind speeds are often going over 5 m / s here, but I think I never ride when they are over 7 m / s (that would be too dangerous regarding of wheels). And you know what? I have no idea what people are saying when they have "NDE" when riding these wheels. Reading all these stories I was positively suprised that I didn't have such problems. Yes you can feel them push you a bit with side wind, but it's far from scary (that's even with my under 60 kgs weight + around 7 kgs for bike) . If your bike handling skills are above 3/10 you should have no problem managing them under wind.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

I have no problems either. Meilenstein being a lot better than the Standard wheels.

@ak47: 7 m/s? Then you would never ride here at all... It's not windy before at least 10 m/s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com