LIGHTWEIGHT wheelset owners, can U ever come back or can U?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

firstbuell

by firstbuell

this is a useful thread - thanks

my rim-brake Giant came with their private-branded DTSwiss P-SL1 set @ 1775 grams -
the salesman actually apologized for them!

while Giant's upgraded P-SL0 set is 1595 grams, they're only available on a near-identical bike costing $1275 more, so I passed

as an OG who's strictly a recreational rider, what are 2 or 3 AFFORDABLE choices for an upgrade, if & when that day comes?

posts above suggest Mavic CCU & ZIPP 404, with which I have zero familiarity [cost, reliability, etc.] - what are additional likely candidates?

thanks in advance for your responses

sharkman

by sharkman

The weight for the PSL1 sounds a bit high since it should be the 23 mm version of the the 50 mm P-SLR1 that comes at little over 1600 grams (in fact I own two sets of these and overall they are way better than my Zipp 404 firecrest).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fletch62

by fletch62

I bought a Gen 111 standard front wheel awhile back, and now have the opportunity to buy a matching rear.
Is the price (about $1200aud) worth it for a single wheel? I guess i am a bit hesitant due to newer wheels being much more aero, wider and i can get a used set of Zipp, Edge/Enve etc for the same price.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

fletch62 wrote:I bought a Gen 111 standard front wheel awhile back, and now have the opportunity to buy a matching rear.
Is the price (about $1200aud) worth it for a single wheel? I guess i am a bit hesitant due to newer wheels being much more aero, wider and i can get a used set of Zipp, Edge/Enve etc for the same price.

If you want a set of LW;s that price is pretty good down here if the wheel is in reasonable nick. If you don't buy it I might be interested - I've written off my rear LW standard and looking for a replacement.

From a purely functional standpoint LW wheels are not same class of wheel as aero wheels IMO. The 50mm+ deep aero wheels are optimal for higher speed flat riding but not optimal for hills due to higher mass. LW's are more of light general purpose wheel - reasonable rim depth for fast flat riding and light enough for hills. As mentioned in this thread LW's are not perfect - particularly in cross winds - but area a real pleasure to ride generally. If you are really tossing between LW's and aero wheels I recommend deciding exactly what your intended use is.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

tinozee

by tinozee

bruno2000 wrote:But be honest...nobody will tell you they paid 4000€ for a set of wheels they don't like.
I'm working at the cycling industry in Belgium and it's like when you talk to people who have bought a new bike and paid 5000€ for that bike. Nobody will tell you they don't like the 'thing' they have paid 5000€ for.

Hahaha so true. There has got to be a lot of convincing oneself before the purchase as well. And I suppose that never wears off. It's the same reasoning as when my wife goes for the $800 pair of high heels. Or when a theist debates an atheist. They are so convinced of their position that there almost is no logic behind it. It's too bad we have to wade through it because we should be talking only with performance facts (not opinions) about bike parts. The thread title even contains an inkling of this intoxication with bling. It might as well read "please help convince me to buy lightweights".

Apologies in advance as i know this will make some blood boil. Feel free all to make fun of every material thing I own! ;P My body is my most important bike part.

boysa

by boysa

Your last sentence is pure gold. I still love the machines, and am fascinated with the incredible simplicity of a bicycle, but I've truly come to appreciate the ENGINE more than the transmission. The guy in the saddle is the most amazing machine of all!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

mrgray

by mrgray

it is 100% true that we largely buy these things irrationally but then prop up purchases pre and post with our best impressions of rational arguments. I have been thru this process so many times with watches and now bike stuff that i recognise that what i really like (besides riding my bike) is the process of researching gear and then, sometimes, buying it.

i had perfectly good Bora One 35's and a C59. Got the bike 2nd hand for a steal. Could I leave well enough alone? No. I had to have a white C60 (the black C59 was dangerous as it was all but invisible to drivers!) and lightweights.

This even though the Boras weighed 1187 g (light pair of One's for sure) and even dumb me knew that their hubs were one of the sweetest things ever made.

I am really enjoying my new bike (or was until I ruined my back). I have really enjoyed the km's I have ridden this year. But I have also really enjoyed identifying new gear, learning alot about it, pretty much lusting after it and then buying it.

Anyway as a lIghtweight owner i do think it would be hard to go back because when i am struggling up the steep inclines around Sydney I want to know I am lugging around the least possible amount of weight. Also they look pretty awesome if you ask me. :D

Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

nibby

by nibby

That is a thing of beauty!!

I'm trying to decide if I should get a new Supersix F&F and built with Bora Tubs or go for the C60 with the same!! It's driving me nuts :)

mrgray

by mrgray

nibby enjoy the process and go the Boras! Incredible wheels.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

nibby

by nibby

mgray,

anymore pics or links to the build??

oh and I don't suppose you have ridden a supersix and can tell me how it compares :)

all the best

sorry to go off thread a little but some things are worth it :)

mrgray

by mrgray

Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

nibby

by nibby

mrgray wrote:cheers
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=132397

Great stuff, thanks for that. I'm looking forward to reading.

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

Can I ever come back depends on Carbonsport's response to my issue (brake rim failure on front wheel). Std Gen III clinchers (purchased about 1 month before Meilenstiens hit the market)

That wheel has done about 10,000mile over the 3yr period, mainly solo rides and never raced (so generally no braking except for the odd corners/junction), and no mountain descents. UK local roads only.

Only used Carbon Sports own brake pads as per recommendation, and in-fact I've broke so little I'm only on my 2nd pair of pads over that 3 year period.

Wheels are 3 years and 3 months old, Service-UP just expired 3 months ago. Had I spotted this a few weeks earlier I would have been guaranteed a replacement wheel.

Now I don't know? Dead wheel?

I would not consider purchasing a replacement for a couple of reasons.

One, it would have to be a Melienstein swap meaning I would have an odd pair of wheels, unless I bought a new rear wheel too (so I had a pair of Meilenstiens). And would I pay £3.5K again for full cost of a new pair of wheels after only 3 years of what I would call light usage? Not a chance.

If I had to buy replacement wheels again, I would most certainly go for Enve's. I already have a low-pro front wheel (which is/was swapped for the LW on windy days), so I'd probaby get a pair of 40/50's or something for a full set of Enves.

Only chance I'd ever "go back" would be if CS offered me an almost free replacement of Both wheels (so I had the matching pair), and outside of Service-UP I am very doubtful. I will let you know how it goes...

2old4this

by 2old4this

Considering I have Multiple LW sets, you may call me a little biased (and yes, after the first set, I felt a little guilty.) LWs are the climbing wheels I prefer (comparing to Mavic, Enve, DT, Zipp, shimano. Lew Racing VT1 was the best ones after LWs.)

Having said that, there are two down sides for LWs.
1-DT hubs are not not my favorites. But having both Campy and Shimano components, changing the freehubs can't get simpler. Get the SchwarzEd LWs, at the cost of €300 per wheel.
2-Cross winds affect them really badly. Easy to solve though; do not use matching pairs. My favorite combo is Meilinstein in the rear and ventaux on the front. If you want to save weight, you can use AX ultra 24, instead of ventaux...

mrgray

by mrgray

+1 on cross wind vulnerability. rode into a gap between buildings on windward side the other day and the gust almost blew me ~ 1m or so sideways into traffic. i am no light weight (ha ha) either.

thankyou for this excellent imperative to buy another wheel.
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com